Tips for giving report at triage

One thing that I have learned, is that you as an emt are the patient's advocate. Someone once told me that, and It's changed my mindset on giving reports. Also, there's nothing wrong in using your run sheet to remember anything, just don't read it word for word, but if you need it to give vitals, or for allergies/medications, by all means, use it.

We actually use a triage sheet on the BLS service that I work for. We record all info. that we will need not only to give to the ED but also to do our run report. When we are finished with our run report we shred it. It comes in really handy as we contact the hospital via phone en-route. If by chance we forgot to ask about something we will ask the patient while we have the ED on the phone. If he patient is unconscious, they have to wait until family gets there to answer. Never been a problem.

Just keep it simple with the most pertinent info. End by asking if they would like any other info.

Your partner can buy or make a radio report sheet that helps get them into the habit of giving the same info in a standard format.

Just repeat your radio report with the addition of any interventions/changes that occurred since you called in.

We use those blue square sheets with everything itemized on them. Pt name, age, chief complaint, VS, etc. I use it to do my radio report, and when I get in to the ER, I use it to repeat the report. Then I get them to sign my PCR, and go 10-8 before I write the most of the PCR.

We know most of the nurses at our local ER, and they're pretty cool.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.