New guy at work has no hustle

Either the system attracts idiots, or the system produces idiots. My experience here in Oz with univeristy graduates is that its a bit of both, especially with the attitude and "being lied to" proposal.

This is going to sound really errogant, but hear me out...

Anyone working on an ambulance, new or experienced, I think understands that the world has more idiots than non-idiots. While I agree with everyone so far, let me throw out the idea that idiots in EMS are partly statistical. We are recruiting idiots because we live in a world full of idiots.

And to add to some of your previous points:

the recruitment video for my city that airs on local TV stations is an action packed "race against time" complete with shaky camera movement and ends with the phrase "Lives need saving..."

It's often a reality shock when new kids come becasue what they see on TV is glamour and heros. But then they have a choice to either grow up or fail and hopefully that weeds out the useless. BUT, unfortunately sometimes leadership passes them anyway to keep their numbers up and everyone suffers. There are a couple cases of that at my station.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.