Paramedics continue vol.

I'm curious to know how many paramedics out there still volunteer with their local squad (running BLS)? Eventually, I'd like to become a medic, and would also like to continue to volunteer. Just very curious how easy that is to do/If you really have the time to do so. Thanks for all responses.

If you get your medic license you can of course continue to volunteer. But I'd get some assurances first

The first and foremost assurance would be what the volunteer services position is on medics volunteering in a emt capacity.

They should have strict guidelines as to what you as a medic can do when in the guise of an emt capacity. I would be leary about stepping outside your role as a emt and performing any type of ALS skill no matter how small or miniscule you think that skill is.

If you as an emt cannot check blood sugar's then the medic sure cannot if he is acting in the emt style role.

I'd get clarification from your service as to the guidelines of emt versus medic playing as emt.

I'd get clarification from your service as to the guidelines of emt versus medic playing as emt.

I don't think such clarification is really needed in NJ. State law covers it very strictly.

I think where you will need clarification from is from your actual employer. There are employers who are not at all fond of their paid employees doing the same job somewhere else for free. And with NJ being a big union state, they are probably even less fond of it.

You cannot possibly understand how maddening and frustrating it is to work at a greatly reduced scope of practice until you have done it. Your desire to do it will decrease greatly once you've tried it for awhile. Hopefully sooner.

And, of course, the reason you are going to have a tough time finding a paramedic job in NJ if you ever finish school is because there are so many people willing to give it away for free, so there aren't that many paid jobs to be had. Think hard about that.

I'm sure it happens quite a bit. Whackers abound in the Northeast. But it's not a good plan.

You cannot possibly understand how maddening and frustrating it is to work at a greatly reduced scope of practice until you have done it. Your desire to do it will decrease greatly once you've tried it for awhile. Hopefully sooner.

And, of course, the reason you are going to have a tough time finding a paramedic job in NJ if you ever finish school is because there are so many people willing to give it away for free, so there aren't that many paid jobs to be had. Think hard about that.

I'm sure it happens quite a bit. Whackers abound in the Northeast. But it's not a good plan.

Thanks for your opinions so far. In NJ, I believe all ALS is hospital based, and there are no vol. ALS service. I see what you mean about the scope of practice thing. It would suck to know I had the skill to do something, but couldn't use it in an instance it was needed. Thanks for the comments.

In NJ, I believe all ALS is hospital based, and there are no vol. ALS service. I see what you mean about the scope of practice thing. It would suck to know I had the skill to do something, but couldn't use it in an instance it was needed.

Yes, that was my primary point. EMS will stress you even when you've done everything you possibly could have and it didn't help. But when your hands are tied behind your back, and you know you could do something more, the stress is compounded. Stress is like straws on a camel's back. You can only take so much over a lifetime. As young as you are starting, it's really not worth it to start piling it on at a double-time pace for no real benefit to you or your patients. You've got a long career ahead of you, hopefully. Pace yourself, bro.

Why volunteer when you can get paid for it?!!

There are NO volunteer ALS units in New Jersey.

If you still feel the need to be a hoople, join your local BLS "squad," and teach them:

1. How to respond on the not-hot jobs.

2. How NOT to wait on scene for ALS.

3. How NOT to wait on scene for ALS to "just check out the patient."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.