Discussions of the future

OK, what would be the ideal scope for the "new EMT-B"

Obviously you would want

[*]Expanded A&P

[*]Enhanced Skill Sets

[*]Proven critical thinking skills

What would we do with them to make them more then just a well trained by-stander?

What about a "super-medic?"

Someone who has education somewhere in the realms of a Nurse Practitioner. Base them out of the local ERs, when a code, stroke, or some sort of "mega-call" comes in they can respond to compliment and supplement the paramedics on the scene. Can someone tell me, I belive I saw an article in JEMS about physicians responding in the UK once?

In Australia we use EMT B primarily for Industrial and Standby work.

Some courses:

http://www.firstresponseaustralia.com.au/c...al_Response.htm

http://www.medicone.com.au/HTP/50770.html

In most states you have to have a 3 year degree as a minimum to work on an emergency ambulance. In my state you do your 3 year degree to become a paramedic then further on to ALS then I spose our ‘super medics’ are Mobile Intensive Care Paramedics (MICA)

If you call 000 (911) in my state then chances are you’ll get an ALS paramedic crew who have done a 3 year degree. If the call involves anything cardiac or major trauma then MICA will back up the ALS team. MICA is a ALS paramedic who has gotten some pretty good road experience then go back to uni to get a masters degree.

From what I’ve heard it seems that American EMT B is what we call advanced first aid over here or in some cases advanced first aid is a little higher because we can give S4 drugs. I find it a tad weird that an EMT can run on an emergency ambulance but yet they can’t give drugs…

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.