Richmond Again

The difference with RAA is no fire duty, no engine work, no passing FF school.

Paid providers in Henrico, Hanover, Richmond City, Chesterfeild and just about any other county around the Richmond Metro will pull a year or so on the Engine at some point.

Yes, my medic is showing because we are talking about a MEDIC job, not a firemonkey job.

Apples and oranges, my dear.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. You can make far more as a medic in any of the surrounding counties, but you'll have to play firefighter and you'll get less (and less varied) experience.

As far as cost of living, rent is closer to the $650-850/mo range for a 1-2 BR apartment here, so you can get by on $12 an hour but raising a family on that isn't going to be the easiest thing...

i am not sure where you can make 80,000 a year on no overtime anywhere within a 100 miles of richmond. However, I know that NJ pays their medics upwards of 21 an hour with plenty of overtime to spare. I bring this all up because, while I want a richmond-"esque" experience, I don't think 12 an hour would get me anywhere later. (except a medic/ff job somewhere else). Plus there is no human resource coordiantor, no director for RAA under the big Jerry... and just a lack of information when I called. However, Richmond was talking about some sort of incentive program addition. I smell a 50 cent raise. Good job AMR. Who has worked for them anyway? Anyone? Bueler....

Sam

I haven't worked for AMR out of Richmond myself, but I'm aquainted with a guy who has, he's currently a Paramedic supervisor in the EMS & Transport division of our local Level I Trauma Center.

I'll post any feedback he has concerning the subject.

Yes, my medic is showing because we are talking about a MEDIC job, not a firemonkey job.

They are one in the same around Richmond.

In the counties surronding Richmond you can work on the Medic Unit and the Engine in the same week.

I was mainly pointing toward your statement regarding it being the Volunteers fault that wages are so low in Richmond.

i am not sure where you can make 80,000 a year on no overtime anywhere within a 100 miles of richmond.

The county I retired from, new hires with the benefits, paid time off, paid training and education can easily pull down 80K a year.

The best part is you can live 100 miles away and travel, you stay at the station for your 24 hour shift, room and board provided and then drive home and not be due back for 48-72 hours ?

I did it for the last 12 years of my time.

The new hires are just about making on day one, what I made when I retired after 25 years.

I know the EMT-Bs only make $8.00 @ RAA. You can blame it on volunteers if you want. If you're worried about money so bad and are already a paramedic, just bridge to an RN.

$12 in Richmond is not all that much. You could survive, but little else. If you need a job, take it, but don't try to make a career out of RAA.

I agree with Dust on volunteer services bringing down the value of EMS. Why pay a full time medic and offer him insurance if you have 10 guys willing to do it for free. If your working as a volunteer and you get hurt, would insurance, workman's comp pay?

Up north I have found that some services will pay medics 10$/hr while 20 miles away another service will pay 18$/hr. it seems like its hit and miss where ever you go.

Well, I spoke to my friend concerning RAA & AMR.

He said, and I quote, "Don't do it. Get a real job, even if you must drive an hour or more."

His reasons were pretty much what we all already know.

I agree with Dust on volunteer services bringing down the value of EMS. Why pay a full time medic and offer him insurance if you have 10 guys willing to do it for free. If your working as a volunteer and you get hurt, would insurance, workman's comp pay?

Why? The volunteers didn't bid on the contract, there are no volunteer EMS agencies in the City of Richmond.

How can you blame someone who wasn't even involved ?

In Va. volunteers are covered by worker's comp. but many agencies carry their own insurance because the workers comp. policies are very lacking in the coverage provided, the last I heard the volunteer only recieves 300 dollars a month through the workers comp. policy.

The ones to blame in the Richmond situation is AMR, RAA, they bid low and pay low.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.