Cardiology, Now Drugs

Steven

I'm in my second attempt at Paramedic school and can't seem to break out of a this downward spiral. My first attempt brought failure after getting kicked out because I didn't pass the Cardiology section of training with an 80% or better, which is a long story. So I changed colleges to attack Paramedic school again, yet find this new school to be very poor in their educational efforts. Now I've managed to get hung up on Pharmacology for some reason. I can't seem to retain all of this information we're supposed to memorize about drugs (Names, Class, Indications, Contraindications, Side Effects, Dose (Adult/Ped), Precautions). I'm not sure if I'm approaching this task the wrong way, or simply lacking in ability when it comes to choosing Paramedic as a field of interest.

I feel lost on what to do honestly, since this is my second attempt and it's not going well either. I will admit that life has been bumpy this semester, with many distractions, and a job change, but I can't blame any of that on my success or failure.

I've had my emt-b since December of 2005, yet never had the opportunity to actually work in the field until this week. I took a pay cut and accepted a job as an emt-b to gain field experience. That alone is presenting a challenge due to the time that has lapsed since completing the emt-b program at college. I'm working on putting pieces of my education together and trying to get the lights turned back on because I feel useless on-scene. Of course, maybe this is normal for a first emt-b job?

I just know I want to be good at what I do, and something is missing. I don't freeze on scene, but little of my education surfaces in a timely fashion so I feel uncomfortable providing care. However, I will admit it is slowly getting better, which is a good sign. I just place patient safety and care as top priority, and want to be at 100% now instead of later!

I know I'm rambling and really not going anywhere with this post. Maybe I just want someone to say that what I'm feeling is normal, or that Paramedic school is challenging enough without outside life distractions. I'm not sure what I need to hear, or what advice I want. I just know I feel dumb sometimes, and know I'm not. I love this new emt-b job I have, and it *feels* right, but I'm worried about not agressively leading on scene due to my feelings of doubt. Should I just attack these calls, then be proud enough to ask for help if I fall off track? Should I sit back and observe and work on being more confident with my skills before trying to lead a call?

What a mess, but maybe someone can piece together what I'm feeling and try to offer some kind of opinion, advice, or encouragement? I know this is what I want to do, but I don't understand why I'm having such a difficult time achieving the goal.

Thanks everyone and I apologize for the long post and if it doesn't make sense. It did help to vent my thoughts though. :lol:

--Steven

Steven, I think there is more to this story. You sound like you are distracted, unable to focus, and having problems with self confidence. I suspect that you have allot on your plate and possibly some personal issues. I understand your desire to complete paramedic school; however, you may consider dealing will all of your other distractions and get yourself in a stable position. I have always been an advocate of education over experience when it comes to EMS; however, you may want to consider slowing down a little and getting into a comfort zone with your new job and possibly other things prior to tackling paramedic school. I think once you have a clear head and feel more confident, you will find your studies will be much easier. In addition, take a little time to decide if EMS is really your calling. I am not trying to be negative; however, EMS is not for everybody, and people are much more content when they work a job that they enjoy.

Take care,

chbare.

Gain your experience in the field first, order up some pharm,cardio,resp, books. Talk to people that took the course, get the medication list and make up Q-Cards. From a to z go over abandoned call to zygomatic.

12 leads by Tim Pharlon is great and jump on little course's ACLS to get you going. Wait a year or two to get the noggin going, Paramedic school is a challange even thought people think we are ambulance drivers. It will take some time,but if you are serious about it you will do it....................remember, people lives depend on you as a Paramedic. You gotta know it.

What is your educational preparation? Do you already have two semesters of A&P, Microbiology, Chemistry, and Algebra out of the way? If not, there ya go. It is practically unheard of for somebody with the proper educational preparation to fail paramedic school. And if your school does not require those prerequisites, then your school sucks.

If you have completed those prerequisite courses and are still having trouble, then I agree that distractions seem to be a major part of the problem. Perhaps you didn't have all that going on a couple of years ago when you took the prerequisite classes. I would also agree that you need to divest yourself of some of those distractions before trying again. I would specifically dump the EMT job, as that is the biggest problem, without a doubt. It gives you an uncertain schedule, the stress of a new situation, and money problems all at once. You don't need ANY of that! And the "experience" you are getting is worthless in any practical sense. You might also see your doctor, tell him of your distractability, and see if Adult ADD treatment may be right for you. It is a very real problem, and treating it may be your ticket to success.

You are on the right track by attempting to take control and responsibility of the educational process. Clearly, you cannot rely on medic school to teach you all of this. You have to learn it, and only you can do that.

Good luck!

Prerequisites?

Steven has the U.S. flag by his name... See other discussions....

Is the paramedic program at a technical school, community college or private trade school?

Step back and access your priorities. It just may not be the right time. If it is your calling to be a paramedic...the time will come...continue to prepare at you own pace.

Ease into the educational process if you can by taking a "prerequisite" that might be of some future use. Slide into some short continuing education classes for healthcare professionals...like the ACLS ECG and Medication prep classes just to hear the names and uses.

See what jobs your local hospital has to offer...ER Tech, PCT, Phelbotomy tech, Monitor tech or even transporter. It will get you free continuing education and may get the rest of your education paid for. Monitor tech is a great way to get paid, talk to all the doctors, and study(usually). It may sound boring...but if you are serious about a stable environment and income to prepare for future things... Doing just about any type of work in a hospital will get you patient exposure. Experienced Phelbotomists do great IVs as a Paramedic. Monitor techs can analyze rhythms at a glance. Transporter will give you a chance to help/see and move a lot of difficult patients. It will also give you the run of the hospital to meet other professionals. Transporter in the OR is pretty educational also.

Prerequisites?

Steven has the U.S. flag by his name... See other discussions....

Is the paramedic program at a technical school, community college or private trade school?

Step back and access your priorities. It just may not be the right time. If it is your calling to be a paramedic...the time will come...continue to prepare at you own pace.

Ease into the educational process if you can by taking a "prerequisite" that might be of some future use. Slide into some short continuing education classes for healthcare professionals...like the ACLS ECG and Medication prep classes just to hear the names and uses.

See what jobs your local hospital has to offer...ER Tech, PCT, Phelbotomy tech, Monitor tech or even transporter. It will get you free continuing education and may get the rest of your education paid for. Monitor tech is a great way to get paid, talk to all the doctors, and study(usually). It may sound boring...but if you are serious about a stable environment and income to prepare for future things... Doing just about any type of work in a hospital will get you patient exposure. Experienced Phelbotomists do great IVs as a Paramedic. Monitor techs can analyze rhythms at a glance. Transporter will give you a chance to help/see and move a lot of difficult patients. It will also give you the run of the hospital to meet other professionals. Transporter in the OR is pretty educational also.

Both schools have been community colleges. I see where you're coming from, and CE could prove beneficial for sure. My new employer handles CE in house, so I'm sure there will be plenty of situations to sign up for different classes.

Everyone has excellent points, and I definitely appreciate the replies. Now it's time to figure out the next direction to go and get going. :)

Again, thank you everyone, and I'll keep you posted on developments.

-Steven

I also don't know that it would be a good idea to drop the emt drop, as it has been a good experience and is getting better.

Can you qualify what you mean by "good experience"? I suspect that only means you are having fun and don't want to quit, and nothing more in a real, valuable sense.

• 2 months later...

ok so i'm too lazy to read everything this morning, so i stopped at having difficulty with pharmacology..rest assured you aren't the only one.

what i did as far as memorizing drugs/classifications/ contraindications/indications/doseage/peds dose, etc. was get index cards and write the it out like this

Drug Name

classification

indications

contraindications

doseage

ped. doseage

side effects

yea it's a lot to write, especially with the bajillion drugs they seem to throw in your face, but it's worth it.

ok so i'm too lazy to read everything this morning, so i stopped at having difficulty with pharmacology..rest assured you aren't the only one.

what i did as far as memorizing drugs/classifications/ contraindications/indications/doseage/peds dose, etc. was get index cards and write the it out like this

Drug Name

classification

indications

contraindications

doseage

ped. doseage

side effects

yea it's a lot to write, especially with the bajillion drugs they seem to throw in your face, but it's worth it.

Good post. Read information out loud, write it out as mentioned ( color code based on drug family ), have someone quiz you using your cards. All these methods help it sink in as your hearing it, seeing it, speaking it, recalling it, etc. You may want to record the info and replay it instead of tunes going down the highway but don't neglect the other methods. The more senses involved the better the retention. Lots of work but worth it if you're going to be worth anything as a Paramedic.