Role of MICNs in NJ

edogs334

Does anyone from Jersey know about the role that Mobile Intensive Care Nurses take in New Jersey's EMS system? What kind of a training and certification process do they have to go through (besides becoming RNs and getting ICU/ER experience)? Do they take an active patient care role in the field, or are they more likely to be administrators and educators? Are they prevalent, or few and far between? Any information would be appreciated.

They are already RN's. They must be employed by an MICU project who is willing to allow them to challenge the state paramedic test. They must complete, I believe, 100 hours as a third person on the MICU vehicle as a "student" before they can test. After being certified, they can function as a paramedic while working with another paramedic. HOWEVER, when responding as an MICU vehicle, they can only function as a paramedic, nothing more. When working as an MICN on an SCTU (Specialty Care Transport Unit), they function as a nurse.

Since you are in the Atlantic City area, the MICN's you see are from AtlantiCare. They function first as a nurse on the SCTU. They can provide backup paramedic services, last I knew, only in the city of Atlantic City.

Thanks for the info. Actually, I'm from the Boston area, although I did once inquire about the EMS system in Atlantic City. I want to work on the bus as an ALS-level provider once I become a nurse (and after getting the requisite training and experience). Hence, I'd consider moving to a state that allows nurses to work as ALS providers on ambulances. Otherwise, I'd just do it the traditional way and go to medic school after I become a nurse.

I just moved to Florida from NJ. I know that as a medic, all I had to do was take Florida's medic exam and once I passed I could practice in FL. I don't know if they would allow the same for a RN or not. If you are interested in a particular state, jus google up State DOH EMS, and you can usually find answers and/or links.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.