I will probably burn out of EMS in:  

58 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1) 0-5years
    • 2) 5-10years
    • 3) 10-15years
    • 4) 15+years
    • 5) Never

This being my first post, I might as well jump right in...I hate riding the ambulance...I would rather suck purreed turds from a straw than ever ride an ambulance again.

I have been in the biz for 15 years...strictly full time EMS (Was a volunteer fireman also) until 1998, was sick of EMS then and decided to move into the fire service full time.

Problem was, I was in a fire dept that also ran EMS, so being a medic, that meant 80% I was still on the ambulance.

9 years and a promotion later, I'm still riding the damn thing every other shift. I love being a fireman, and I do enjoy helping people, but I prefer to do it form the fire truck. There is too much BS with EMS...paperwork, nurses, diversion, 3AM tummyaches...

Do any of you more "seasoned" paramedics know the name of the genius that came up with fire-based EMS? I've got a present for that twit, in the form of a size 8 to the fanny. EMS should be it's own entity. I like working with fire fighters, however I have no desire to be in a fire department, much the same way most firemen have no desire to ride my ambulance.

Best way to keep from getting burned out... Don't do a job you don't like, and remember it's a job. Work to live, don't live to work.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with that...whoever decided Fire/EMS was a good marrage wasn't thinking about the people who were actually wearing both hats, usually one very reluctantly.

The problem as I see from the inside is that most of your EMS people shy away from fire-based services...leaving unhappy firemen to shoulder the ems load...or rookies...we can't recruit medic-onlys, and none of the new people want to go to paramedic school and be stuck on the ambulance all the time. leaving those of us who are stuck on the damn thing all the time. It is very frustrating, like a glass ceiling...

I have much respect for Paramedics and EMS people who actually want to do this job...and I say let them have it. I wear that patch on my right sleeve like a curse...I would drop it like the bad habit it is if I could.

Dahlio, thanks for the luck! I wish you the best as well. :)

I'll never burn out of medicine, but the time has definitely come to move on from EMS. I've had a good run and I just don't see myself ever truly enjoying this job again. I think that a lot of it has to do with the company I work(ed!) for. Treat your employees like 'sheet' and they shall return the favor. I can only play politics for so long dude. :evil: Me, I'm looking forward to M-F work weeks, no pagers or radios to disrupt the air surrounding me, no more late calls, holidays off, and the list could go on and on. I have ALL the respect in the world for those of you who can do this type of work for years on end because I surely can't. But that's okay with me. I'm not sad about it, in fact, it's quite a relief to be moving on to something else. This has actually given me motivation to want to go back to school. For what exactly, I'm not quite sure, but the desire is definitely there. For now anyway, I have a new job and am excited to finish out my last 2 weeks in EMS. :P In all honesty, the hardest part is going to be leaving my partner ( :cry: ) and a lot of good friends that I've made throughout the years. *sigh* So anyway, keep up the good work you guys and I wish you all the best of luck! :D

ps: I'll still be around here from time to time. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.