Expensive versus Cheap Medic School

AnthonyM83

So, I've hit the 3 month mark as an EMT. I still want to get a bit more time on, because I've been working a day-car and the 24-hour cars get more experience. But I'm starting to think of medic school. Problem is I can't afford it on this $10/hr job and paying back student loans at over $250/mo and $850 rent, plus other bills/expenses...and I live pretty meagerly.

The main school everyone wants to go to is $7,000 I think as part of UCLA's PreHospital Care department...but I heard it's really run by a nonUCLA hospital which is rather disorganized. I heard of some for about $3,000. And someone said there was one for $600, which seems kind of nuts. It's a 2 hour drive away twice a week, which I might be able to do...but I also want good quality teaching...prefereably above and beyond quality teaching.

My first step will be to start asking around, but really all the medics here are FF (who pretty much are sent to that UCLA one) or a FEW long-time medics with our company who were hired back when we were an IFT company, before the 911 contract. Even after I became a medic, I don't even know where I'd work. We're not hiring really...and pay is only $3 bucks more.

But from you guys, I'd like to know if cheaper medic schools are usually lower quality education...

I suppose I could just get the basics from the class, then have to study a lot on my own to become proficient at stuff...but I'd like to get the most I can out of the class.

Anyone know of student grants available for medic school?