Needing a pep talk-re:clinicals and ride time

emtkelley

We have a number of students completing their clinicals with us right now, and I have run into a few things that are a bit annoying. Allow me to chip in with my $.02 worth.

1. Don't sit at the station and selectively choose which calls you want to go on. You are there to learn. You should be chomping at the bit to get on every call that tones out.

2. When the truck stops onscene, do not jump out and start heading into the patients house. You have no idea what you are walking into. Wait for instructions from your preceptors.

3. When asked to take vitals signs, show the patient the courtesy of asking their permission before grabbing their arms and tugging at their sleeves, etc....

4. Limit your conversations with the patient to the necessary things. The PM gathers a lot of general pt. information based on simple observation. Your casual conversation with the pt. interrupts that process. Your mission is to OBSERVE, unless asked to do more.

5. When your clinical shift is over, it is in very poor taste to ask the crew to drop you off at home in the ambulance. Especially when you plan it that way for the sole purpose of showing off to your friends and neighbors.

6. Do not make yourself too "at home" at the station. Follow the same rules that everyone else does. Surfing the internet on the dispatchers computer is a good way to get booted out of class. Eating food out of the refrigerator that does not belong to you is a good way to become a patient instead of a student. And please, please, please, don't think it is OK to stretch out on the couch and go to sleep during the shift. Especially if you sleep heavily enough to miss the tones. That says a lot about your professionalism.

In short, remember what you are there for. You are trying to learn. We are eager to teach, and will gladly answer your questions, regardless of how stupid you may think they are. The only stupid ones are the ones you don't ask. Just show a little respect and act like you know you are supposed to. We'll all get along fine.

• 2 months later...

These are all very good points, I'm taking notes!

If I may add one, though I am only a student, I have always been taught to show respect to everyone by addressing them as "Sir or Ma'am"...you know "yes Sir, No Ma'am", and I continue to do that until they tell me that I can just call them by their first name...etc... Just thought that was a good point to throw in...thanks for all the tips!

These are good points to follow. I am a student and if I was ever caught sleeping or doing something I was not suppose to I know what will happen to me. Professionalism has been drilled into my head so much and what is expected of me that I would be ashamed of myself if I done anything that would embarrass my instructors or my school.

I have seen many other students not be aggressive or lazy on a clinical and yes some from my school and it makes me mad. Like others have said we are there to learn and act like we are there on our real job.

Oh and do not be LATE!!! I am sure that is something that will get you in big trouble.

Excellent information.

I am a student and am doing my first clinical this weekend. I have been nervous but the answers I see here have given me some confidence.

I just have to remember what I have learned and stay calm.

Thanks everyone for the info.

I'm not asking for comfort or for a pat on the head telling me it will be alright. I want to get some fight in me and feel like I can get in there and learn and do this. I want my paramedic so badly but can't shake this thing I am going to screw up. Any thoughts?

ok here's the pep talk just a few simple words

Get off your butt, make the call and get on the truck. You can't learn to walk without taking a few steps and falling on that butt a couple of times.