Question about State License

mtry1

Hi, I'm new here..

I just passed my NREMT exam a couple weeks ago. I live in Illinois and I want to get job as an ER Tech. I know I need to get my state license before I start practicing EMS. I looked on the Illinois EMS website and couldn't find any information on how to get it.

Can anyone offer some insight on how I go about getting my state license? Also, is there anymore testing involved?

I'm afraid I cannot answer your question, but I would think that if there were more to it, your instructor/course coordinator would have told you and set that up for you, wouldn't he? Call him and find out. That is probably your best source of info for this particular situation.

Does Illinoise actually license EMT Basics? :?

Working in an ER is not practising EMS.

In many areas an ER tech is a non-licensed position. Most employers in this setting require training such as an EMT course, or PCA, nursing assistant, medical assistant course, ect. But, you do not need a license. This can be a good thing because you can have greater responsibilities in the hospital than you would on an ambulance as a basic, such as IV establishment, phlebotomy and performing EKGs. You may want to still look into getting your IL EMT license though if you want a 2nd job, or plan on going to Paramedic school, as the license would then be required. Check IL department of health website and look for the Dept of EMS or something along those lines to find out reciprocity information from nationally registered applicants. You may or may not have to take a state test as well. good luck.