Written Exam Study Resources

thbarnes

Following my post 'I Passed', I've gotten a few requests for the resources I used in my test preparation. I've compiled the following list. This is hardly definitive, please add anything which helped you.

About 300+ homemade flashcards with anatomy, signs/symptoms of disease processes, cardiac rhythms, and drugs

Barron's How To Prepare for the EMT Paramedic Exam

Out of the dozens of test books I ran across, this book has questions that most accurately reflect the style and breadth of the written exam (in my opinion). Unfortunately it is a little out of date in regards to the new ECC protocols, so stay sharp. You can get one of those books with 5,000 questions or you can get this one, which actually explains the answers in the back. About 100 questions in each of the written exam focus areas (medical, trauma, etc) and three full-length practice exams. Highly recommended.

AHA's ECC 2005 Pocket Handbook

Mosby's Intermediate/Paramedic Practice DVD

Mosby's Paramedic Refresher and Review: A Case Studies Approach

Streetmedic's Handbook by Traynor, Coonan, Rahilly, and Rubens

Also a little outdated, but handy, more concise than your text book with more than your pocket guide. I have the 1995 edition, but I believe there was a subsequent edition circa 2001.

Informed Emergency & Critical Care Pocket Guide

Practice Tests

In the weeks leading up to my exam, I took the hardest practice tests my instructor could dig up for me. I took about two a week and my grades were all over the place, so don't stress. I would make notes as I worked through the exam on areas I needed to go back and read up on, I'd do the same once my instructor graded my exam. I would then go home, read, make flashcards, and come back in and try again. Eventually you can fill in all the gaps.