MVA and Airbags

ChrisT@ncare

I have noticed on our roads with more cars getting airbag there is a growing problem, in a MVA cars with airbags the airbags don't deploy making my job more difficult coz most of the time fire/rescue does not come out or they get there to late or if they are there they don't have the right equipment to protect me form doing my job.

What do you guys/girls do on that side of the world i would like some ideas

Cheers chris

The bast advice I can give you is to be very aware of where the airbags are in the vehicle you are working on. Look for airbag symbols on the steering wheel, dashboard, pillars and door frames. I have even gone so far as to take out the owners manual and get the rookie to leafe through it for airbag locations.

Once you identify all the airbags stay away from them. Use the 5-10-20 inch rule. Stay at least five inches away from a side impact airbag, 10 inches away from a steering wheel airbag and 20 inches away from a passenger side dash airbag.

Even with the assistance of the fire department you can't guarantee that airbags will not deploy. You can use a steering wheel cover or cut the battery cables, but often the capacitor that deploys the airbags remains charged even after power has been cut.

most of the time fire/rescue does not come out or they get there to late or if they are there they don't have the right equipment to protect me form doing my job.

Wow. Sounds like a problem that needs to seriously be addressed. In the mean time, get the steering wheel covers. We like them here.

It is a serious hazard, especially with the installation of up to 7 (or more) airbags in some of the newer vehicles, and no standard triggering mechanism or capacitor drain time. On some of these you can set off the bags well after the crash just by putting weight onto a seat that was unoccupied during the collision.

There are tech data books available for the disarming and avoidance of these bags, but it is difficult to remain current, with hundreds of models and makes out there.

I would like to see a standardized system that would require an emergency shut-off switch in a consistent location on the vehicle. It would be great to know that the units are disarmed and drained before beginning that extrication or treatment.

thanx for all information so far the 5,10,20 rule sounds like it can work well and i will keep it in mind when working. And i like the idea of the emergency shut-off switch

just to put light on the matter i'm sure fire/rescue would come out to every call but they are just so understaffed and vechiles & equipment so outdated i guess we'll have to have some real $h#t hit the fan before the government will think of spending money on them.

I'm in the middle of a Vehicle Extrication course right now and it's been shown that airbags will deploy after the battery has been disconnected, capacitor drained and the sensor disconnected. There doesn't seem to be any SAFE way to disarm and airbag. The new BMW's come with 15 air bags. It's almost impossible to avoid them. 5-10-20 is a good rule of thumb but it's getting harder to find any spot in a vehicle that's "clear".

Even the markings on the dash, steering wheel etc. are getting harder to find. In one of the higher end luxury cars the side window curtain markings are hidden under the "Sissy" handle because people were complaining that it took away from the fine lines of the automobile...

Please, please, please... be careful out there.

I strongly agree there needs to be some kind of "Kill" switch standard on ALL vehicles.

That video was VERY instructive, and I think it should be circulated to all car makers, relevant government departments, and emergency services. It is unfortunate that the safety of passengers is so extravagantly protected, while the safety of those who are there to help when THEY screw up is not even considered.

Is there anyone out there who would know how to begin a campaign to get a shut-off switch or some other control for emergency personnel? This might be a campaign worth fighting from the ranks of City and the equivalent Fire/Rescue sites.

I strongly agree but where do we start? This forum is a great place to gain momentum but we need to get the support of the masses...

Aldermen?

Senators?

Insurance companies?

City and town Deptartments?

Safety Councils?

Unions?

I don't know how to start but i'd gladly help...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.