EKG Book Recommendations?

tattoomama

I personally prefer "12 Lead ECG: The Art of Interpretation" By Garcia and Holtz. It is filled with examples and exercise strips. The manual is written with 3 different levels in it. You can read the beginner level and then go back and do the other two levels, or you can start at the advanced level, it's up to you!

Here's the site:

http://12leadecg.com/

Also good on you for trying to advance your knowledge of ECG's. Don't let anyone on this board deter you from bettering yourself as a medic!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's sure not what it sounds like. Sounds like you think you already are the best EMT you can be, and now you want to skip ahead.

Can you tell the difference between cholecystitis and diverticulitis? Can you tell the difference between Bell's Palsy and a CVA? Can you tell the difference between GERD and an AMI? Do you know what sibilant rales indicate? Would you know them if you heard them? Can you name all the bones in the feet? Can you recite the Ottawa ankle, knee, and spinal clearance rules from memory? Can you tell me what approximate percentage of oxygen a nasal cannula delivers at 4 lpm? Did you score 100 percent correct on your EMT exam?

If you answered no to any of the above questions, then you are no where near the best EMT you can be, and you are not ready for EKGs.

Wow, what an assenine post! Get a grip on reality there buddy. Who gives a damn what the name of every freaking bone in the foot is? Theyre goddamn tarsals and metatarsals, thats pretty much all ANYONE really needs to know, unless you are an orthopedic surgeon or trying to impress someone. Cholecystitis and diverticulitis? Yeah, I know the difference. Yeah, I could probably tell the difference between the two. ...But who cares, really? Paramedics have no way to precisely determine that diagnosis in the field. Thats why its called a clinical impression, NOT a diagnosis!! ...Not to mention the EMS treatment for both conditions is slightly more than nothing. The Ottawa rules?? Are you freaking kidding me? Those are guidelines used by radiologists in order to determine the specific location of injuries! Guess what youre gonna do about it, paragod? STABALIZE, and maybe treat the pain-- no matter what freakin bone is broken.

I could go on and on. Advocating for education is one thing. Setting up an impossible and impractical barrier of knowledge is completely another. I'm not impressed by anyone who can rattle off all kinds of trivia, and I'm not impressed by paragods who think they're better than everyone else out there. I'm impressed by providers who know their protocalls, know how to deal with patients, and know how to perform well within their scope of practice. I know tons of fantastic paramedics that probably would not score 100% on an EMT-B exam. They would score high, no doubt, but 100%? Gimmie a break. If you want to learn so much minatuae, then go to medical school. Seriously. You're not doing anyone any good by pretending that such rediculous detail has anything to do with good patient care.

If this guy wants to go out and learn about EKGs, fine. Good for him for his interest in the field and his desire to learn more. The only warnings he should get are the ones he has already recieved: BLS before ALS, and do your best not to piss people off. Thats IT.

I don't condone Dust's remarks at all, and feel for the most part they were pretty far-fetched, however I do agree that you should have a very good working knowledge of anatomy and physiology before you try to learn EKG's. You'll find you are better able to interpret an EKG if you understand what the heart is doing to produce the tracing. Kudos for you for wanting to further your education, but remember to walk before you run.

you should have a very good working knowledge of anatomy and physiology before you try to learn EKG's.

Absolutely! I dont think anyone is saying that A+P isnt important. ...Just that there is a point where "good working knowledge" becomes "ridiculous minituae."

Also for the record, Dubin does a pretty decent job covering basic cardiac anatomy + physiology. He starts with A+P, then to 3 lead, then to 12 lead, then to the "extras." It is this stepped approach that is at least partly responsible for how good this book truly is, imo.

Absolutely! I dont think anyone is saying that A+P isnt important. ...Just that there is a point where "good working knowledge" becomes "ridiculous minituae."

I agree. :lol: I didn't say "medical school" knowledge, just a good working knowledge. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to learn all the bones in the foot just in case I have to perform emergency field orthopedic surgery one day! :roll:

Thanks to all! And Ruffems, no worries, no offense taken. I have gotten some really good advice on this thread.

Jeez, all I asked was a good reference for EKG interpretation! Lol. I realize how important BASIC skills are. I have no intention

of slacking on the basics. I appreciate all the comments and support. I really like my job, BECAUSE I like having PT contact.

The PT's are why I got into this field. There are many areas I am working on improving, I simply asked about THIS one, cause I knew there would be some really knowledgeable people here to help me; and I was right!

God forbid, people!! Talk about getting conflicting messages! :confused2:

So, what do you REALLY want people to do, Dust? Read books and take courses to increase their EDUCATION and KNOWLEDGE, or simply stay at the level that they're at, and only concentrate on that? How do you expect anyone to increase their knowledge and education if they concentrate only on what they know now??

That cannot possibly be a serious question. You're smarter than that.

I'm sorry, I've been in EMS for almost 16 years, and I don't know all the answers to the questions you posted.

And neither do I. I never said I did. I just pointed out , off the top of my head, several medical situations I have faced in the last week. But they are questions that anybody who wants to be the "best EMT they can be" should put way ahead of learning advanced skills. They are going to teach her EKGs in paramedic school when it is time to learn it. Right now, her priority should be learning all the things that they gave her only the slightest, most basic introduction to in EMT school. The most important "skill" in EMS is patient evaluation. It is also the hardest, especially since schools spend so very little time on it. EKGs? Paramedic school spends plenty of time on that. Forsaking your basic skills so you can learn something that you will eventually be given at the proper time anyhow is simply a very poor choice of priorities. And it is about as far as you can possibly be from being the "best" EMT you can be.

And no, fuzznut, the Ottawa rules are NOT for radiologists to determine the specific location of an injury. In fact, they are the basis for the spinal clearance protocols currently utilised by every professional EMS service in the country. I would say that is quite relevant to the practising EMT. Perhaps you should actually know what you are talking about before you make such "assenine" statements.

You mentioned the Ottawa ANKLE rules in your post:

http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epide..._ankle_rule.htm

And as far as the c-spine, your system allows EMT-Bs to clear c-spine based on Ottawa rules? You must work in a pretty progressive system, because I have worked in quite a few different areas and I have NEVER EVER seen protocols that allow EMTs to clear c-spine at all. Therefore, I fail to see how this should be either a necessary component of the EMT-B education (NREMT agrees), OR a requesite for EKG training.

There was much more to my post above than simply my criticism of your Ottawa requirement. Picking on spelling in an internet forum like this is equally shortsighted. How about we discuss the issues instead, eh?

Also...

And neither do I. I never said I did.

Of COURSE you did! You cant demand that someone learn certain things before moving on to EKGs, and then at the same time - as an ALS provider yourself -- admit to not knowing those very details!!

And as far as the c-spine, your system allows EMT-Bs to clear c-spine based on Ottawa rules? You must work in a pretty progressive system, because I have worked in quite a few different areas and I have NEVER EVER seen protocols that allow EMTs to clear c-spine at all.

Are you serious? Do a quick search of this board. It has been discussed at length, ad nauseum. Plenty of systems do it, worldwide. I would almost be willing to write your ignorance off to being stuck up in the Northeast where the progression of EMS is only slightly ahead of Uganda, but the mecca of spinal clearance in the US is Maine, which utilises it statewide. So it's hard to believe you have never heard of it.

Yet more evidence that you should do a little reading before you open mouth and insert foot.

This entire topic is just more of the same old "I don't need all that book learnin'! I just need more skills!"

Alright then, I'll concede the point. Admittedly I have not worked outside of the Northeast, and where I come from EMT-B c-spine clearing is totally unheard of. ...Not that I dont think it would be a good idea.

Still, care to explain your requisites that this member first:

-memorize all of the bones of the foot?

-achieve 100% on her EMT-B exam?

-learn minatuae about various non life threatening ABD pathologies?

-understand the precise differences between wheels/rales/rhonchi as an EMT-B?

-memorize ottawa rules for the ankle and knee?

Like I said, there is much more in my post above that you managed to ignore.

I agree with you that good BLS comes before ALS. I said that multiple times, and I dont think this is really what we are discussing. You came off as VERY arrogant, seemingly suggesting that this member is unworthy of learning about EKGs simply because she may not know things that EMTs are generally not expected to know. I agree with you that EKGs arent exactly the next best step as far as providing better patient care, but then again, neither is memorizing the foot bones either. I hope we can agree on at least that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.