EKG Book Recommendations?

tattoomama

I also agree that Dubin's book is an excellent start. I also recommend Taigman's Advanced Cardiology (In Plain English) by Mike Taigman. This really simplifies interpreting 12 leads utilizing concepts he developed from the old 3 lead machines. I use his theories when I teach my intro to 12 leads class and students say they found it to be the most easy to understand. Remember to master the basics of EKG interpretation before advancing to 12 leads and beyond.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I think Resq has a point.

Before you go off to read dubins or whoever's books maybe you should get a firm understanding on the rhythms that present on an ordinary monitor screen before going off and learning to interpret 12 leads.

I also agree with Dust. I think your efforts could be better spent reading anatomy or physiology books or even a text on scene safety or what not.

I had a number of students in my paramedic class who started to read books on the ALS level and were arguing with the instructor that that's not what they read. It's all good to read up and be knowledgable but Get the basics down and then go for the advanced.

I would have taken a partner(EMT) who knew anatomy and illness processes over any emt who knew EKG's but did not know the basics.

It's great that you are wanting to keep learning, I commend you with that.

I am a fervent advocate for more and more education. I applaude any EMT who wants to learn more than required of a BLS provider. Heck, if you work an ALS truck and you're even slightly interested in your profession, you can't help but learn more. I try to learn as much as I can about anything I can because it really interests me.

But Dust has a very good point. It does me no good to be able to interpret an EKG if I don't know where the Adenosine is and how to set everything up in preparation for administration. My purpose as a professional is to learn as much as I can. My job in the field is to be the best extension of my paramedic partner as the wrench is the extension of the mechanic.

Dubin's is an excellent text, and you certainly can't go wrong there.

Another one, which is my personal favorite, is "12 Lead ECG: The Art of Interpretation" by Holtz and Garcia. TONS of full size full color EKGs, with great illustrations and explanations. EKGs each have 3 color-coded captions for different levels of understanding. If you are just starting, you read one caption. Once you've done those, you can go back and do them all over again, with the captions geared for your higher level. Once you are the sh#t, you can do them all again, reading the third caption for the most advanced level of interpretation. I'm not shilling for them or anything, but it's a great book.

'zilla

Thanks for all the great replies, and advice. By the way, where did I mention that I am "bound and determined to skip the important stuff in order to move on to the sexy stuff that you can't use"??

I am very dedicated to having excellent basic skills. Of course I am not neglecting my knowledge of anatomy and physiology! I simply asked about EKG interpretation. I do not expect to become an EXPERT from trying to learn a little on my own, I DO NOT

plan to question the medic or try to "impress" anybody with what I know. I AM trying to be the best EMT I can be.

I AM trying to be the best EMT I can be.

That's sure not what it sounds like. Sounds like you think you already are the best EMT you can be, and now you want to skip ahead.

Can you tell the difference between cholecystitis and diverticulitis? Can you tell the difference between Bell's Palsy and a CVA? Can you tell the difference between GERD and an AMI? Do you know what sibilant rales indicate? Would you know them if you heard them? Can you name all the bones in the feet? Can you recite the Ottawa ankle, knee, and spinal clearance rules from memory? Can you tell me what approximate percentage of oxygen a nasal cannula delivers at 4 lpm? Did you score 100 percent correct on your EMT exam?

If you answered no to any of the above questions, then you are no where near the best EMT you can be, and you are not ready for EKGs.

I'm sorry, but I can't help but to stick up for tattoomama on this one.

In almost every topic in here, all we ever hear out of Dustdevil's mouth (an others too, not just him) is EDUCATION! You've got to increase your EDUCATION! KNOWLEDGE is power, if you want to go anywhere in the medical field, keep upgrading your EDUCATION!

And then when someone actually asks for advice about a book on EKG's so that she can understand a little more about what she sees on a daily basis, wether it's actually in her scope of practice or not, she's told "Oh! Don't bother with that stuff yet, just concentrate on your basics. EKG's are completely out of your league."

God forbid, people!! Talk about getting conflicting messages! :confused2:

So, what do you REALLY want people to do, Dust? Read books and take courses to increase their EDUCATION and KNOWLEDGE, or simply stay at the level that they're at, and only concentrate on that? How do you expect anyone to increase their knowledge and education if they concentrate only on what they know now??

I'm sorry, I've been in EMS for almost 16 years, and I don't know all the answers to the questions you posted. And ya know what? I don't expect to know everything. Unlike you, I KNOW I'm not perfect, and never will be, UNLIKE YOU, Sir!! :salute: That is the attitude you come across with all the time in here, just because you've been around for years, you're the end-all, be-all of EMS.

One question: Did you know all the answers to the questions you posted when you were a basic, or did you acquire that knowledge along the way as you went along?? I'm sure we all know what the answer is.....smartass!!

I know it's important to have all the basics down before moving on to the advanced stuff, but please, she was only asking for advice on a book to read on EKG's. I don't think after she's done reading the book, that she's going to start pushing thrombolytics for a possbile MI she might see on a 12-lead!!

And tattoomama, I commend you for wanting to read, and upgrade your education. Keep reading, girl, no matter what!! But, from time to time, stick your nose back into the "old" books you have that you used in your "basic" education, just to keep your mind fresh, and then you'll be able to answer all of Dustdevil's questions from now on!

Geez Louise!! :banghead:

I hope you took no offense to my posts

I do also commend you for furthering your education. I do indeed recommend more education and the more you can get the better.

Here is what I would do in your situation if you are wanting to further your education in terms of cardiology. go get a good cardiology text like this one

http://www.cardiotext.com/description/0781782309 and this one http://www.cardiotext.com/description/0912912065

and finally this one: http://www.cardiotext.com/description/0781744989

Get these three books as I have two of them. Read them and this will help you with your basic knowledge of cardiology, you basic knowledge of rhythm strips and finally will enhance your knowledge and ability to assist with a medic on patient care for the cardiac patient.

It will run you about 100 bucks but it will be money well spent.

Once you get past this educational escapade then pm me and I'll give you three books on the respiratory system for further knowledge

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.