First day of ride time.

Equivalent, you've only been in class for two weeks or so, right? I guess I'm surprised that they're having you do ride alongs already. I've been in class for a little less than a month, and we have to have certain knowledge before we're allowed to do any clinicals. That made sense to me, since we'd be wasting everyone's time if we have no idea what we're doing. Obviously your class must be different.

At any rate, good luck with the ride time.

Shane

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite portion of my basic class was the ride times. The service I rode with were all EXTREMELY friendly and very helpful. I didn't get to do too much (mainly because of low call volumes) but I did a full patient interview, assisted with all vitals, and other grunt work. Overall was a great experience, after my ride times I went back to the house and bought the crew dinner as a thank for letting me ride with them and teaching me as much as they did.

Now I've taken my NREMT-B test and look forward to working for a service for awhile to get my feet wet then entering medic school, one step at a time though :lol:

Hey guys! Yesterday was great. As soon as I got to the station and we did line up, calls just started coming in.

The guys I rode with were amazing. Their attitude was "If you can do it, and you want to, just step up and get it done." I did alot of vitals, hooking up with the LEDS, did neck brace+ back board. Got to learn more about the stretchers and how to use them properly. They showed me where everything was on the truck, and how to restock it.

I of course showed up 100% clean shaven and looking like I was ready to kick some learning ass. I brought all the gear I needed.

Around 2-4 they had a big chiefs meeting at the fire station so I politely told the LT that I didnt want to be in the way and that I was going to go study my EMT chapters so they could all do thier thing.

After the meeting I watched them do a "Drill" something I will be doing in fire academy when that happens. My Precepts* (i think thats what they are called) took a nap from 4-6 since wed been running calls from 8-1.

Then at 7:59pm the bell goes off and I hear "05 please respond.." the LT turns to me and says, "Its 8:00pm, You dont have to come since youre supposed to get off at 8." Well my thought process said, "Like hell im leaving before I get one last call in tongiht" and I politlely asked him if I could come.

That turned out to be the most beneficial call of the night. I got to do bandaging, put on the LEDs, talk to the patient and calm him down since he was severely anxious. They just let me do alot with the PT which was really good practice. (diabetic on blood thiners decided it was a good idea to down a pitcher of beer in a bar. walking to the bathroom he passed out and broke his nose on the wall) 9:15 came around and I was so glad that I had gone.

Anyhoo I have to leave for class now, thanks everyone for the advise and comments!

P.s. Id be weary of any program that thought you could learn just from textbooks and labs and no real world experience. And I have been in classes for a month now. Theres nothing wrong with putting to use what weve learned with Vitals and other such things and putting them to use with practical applications in a real setting. That IMO is the best way to reinfoce what we have been studying so far. Its "Learn and then Do."

P.s. Id be weary of any program that thought you could learn just from textbooks and labs and no real world experience. And I have been in classes for a month now. Theres nothing wrong with putting to use what weve learned with Vitals and other such things and putting them to use with practical applications in a real setting. That IMO is the best way to reinfoce what we have been studying so far. Its "Learn and then Do."

I think almost all classes are required to do clinicals, whether ride time, hospital time, or more than likely, both. No one said there's anything wrong wiht putting newly learned skills to use. I don't think anyone's comments said anything in regards to that.

Your post sounds like you're defending yourself, when there's nothing to defend against! Or did I miss someone's post?

I think almost all classes are required to do clinicals, whether ride time, hospital time, or more than likely, both. No one said there's anything wrong wiht putting newly learned skills to use. I don't think anyone's comments said anything in regards to that.

Your post sounds like you're defending yourself, when there's nothing to defend against! Or did I miss someone's post?

Reread your original post. It came across to me as sarcastic. : / Maybe i was mistaken. You made it sound like our classes are jumping in too quickly/callously, and maybe thats how we just do it down here. Guess i misread the part "since we'd be wasting everyone's time if we have no idea what we're doing." I think i clearly stated that we were performing only what we were taught in class.

I remember when I was a student, each new preceptor was a nightmare in itself. Not to say they were bad guys just each had different expectations of me and the process of working out exactly what they wanted was confusing and difficult.

Each new student I get I like to sit them down at the start of the shift and explain things. The bags are theirs to organise as they wish as long as they have the required stock. They are expected to take a leadership role in patient care although I will be right behind them to make sure they don't kill someone. They should always be the first through the door to introduce themselves to the patient. Also my partner and I will do all the mindless grunt work ie. lugging bags and stretchers. The students should be focusing on patient care.

I wish my ridealongs would have been like this!! They were good, I got to do and learned a lot, but what you let your patients do is what I could have really used help with. GOOD JOB and don't stop helping your student riders learn!

Man I wish my ride along was that exciting. Just to ride with medics wold have been better than parked in a parking lot talking about patient care. I was with 2 EMT's so we didn't get the GOOD calls .The calls we did get was either IFT's or medical emergency's ,but when we got there ,medics already had them ready to go! I did get to practice my skills and learn some new things , I think that was the most important part anyway. Everyone good at their skills had to be green once right! Over all it was a good experience.

question: Can a I go to a fire station and ask to do a ride along with the medics.I know there is more than just asking but it seems kinda crazy for them just to let me go with them. Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong. The only EMS place I have been too or talked to has been a EMT transport company. Thanks for you responses!

You know I guess I'm being lazy asking this question when I could just go ask myself! Thanks for your input though. I just haven't had a chance to go to my local ff station.I know the ambulance company I did my ride along with will allow anyone that has completed an EMT class to go on a ride along. They are mostly a transfer company that works with the fire/medics so to go with them again would put me in the same situation!Medics do all the work ,then bls truck shows up and transfers! I want to ride with the medics .I will go check out the local fire department around he house and see what they say!Thanks to all!