EMT-B classes just started

Its been 2 weeks since school started and things are moving quickly. Today I did my first hospital rotation. Boy was writting that report difficult. So much lingo and information had to be put in such a small space. So many acronyms! Its not overwhelming, its just alot to take in so quickly. Im going to work on my report writting tommarow till I get it down pat. Other then the report writting I had a blast. I was there 10 hours and to me it felt like 2-3. Theres just so much going on and so many things that need my absolute focus! I love it. I might be dazzled by all the sparkley lights atm, I dont know, but I can say I love what I saw today. Thats the first step :D

I got one of those Stethos from our Bookstore.. Boy its a piece of... sigh. All day I was trying to take vitals and all I kept getting was feedback from the 2 tubes rubbing against each other. I heard that littman was the way to go but the cheapest one was 50 bucks and I just spent 300+ out of pocket on my EMT gear. Might be a few weeks till I can save up to get a different stetho. Im gonna try to learn how to use the one I have as best I can atm. Anyone got pointers?

I think im aceing the lecture part of class. Ive been studying like a mad man, highlighting, stickying, making flash cards, the works. This is all so exciting.

- ian

This is definitely what I want to do :D Though I do think its smart to wait till next term for Paramedic school to buy a better stetho. Good advice, thank you.

P.s. My first ride time is next Wed. the 13th. I will be riding with the Hollywood FR05. I cant wait. I was told to make a good impression and would like to of course. That being said I think it would be a wicked awesome gesture to get bagels for the station so the guys just getting on or off shift have some kinda breakfast.

How are you getting your practical real life experience with no ER or Ride times?
Good question. Seems like alot of the states require some real life experiance as part of the class. I may see if I can get some time on an ambulance either in my town or another town where I know a medic.

Hey Equivalentrade, I'm not too far from you - Lee County. Can I offer you some suggestions for your ride time? First thing, (not that its a bad thing), but I would probably forget the bagels for your first ride. The guys or gals you're likely to meet are most likely going to be looking for something different than free food (but I'll take it!). Show up EARLY. If you're not early, you're late. Show up looking professional - clean, pressed clothes, freshly shaved, decent shoes, etc. Have anything you might need at your fingertips i.e.- student ID, preceptor evaluation forms, etc. Immediately take initiative - help with checklists, jump in and help wash the truck, help with station duties. Ask questions... if you see a piece of equipment on the truck you're not familiar with, ask about it. A good EMT or Medic will show you how it works and explain when it is used, etc. Do EXACTLY what your preceptors instruct. Talk to the people you ride with, ask what you can get involved with as far as patient care goes. Remember any safety instructions they give you. And if they don't mention it - DO NOT EVER exit the ambulance by a side door facing a street OK? I promise if you demonstrate initiative, a professional appearance, a willingness to work and to learn, and are prepared with all materials you'll need - it will impress them much more than bagels!

@Becksdad

Thanks alot B) That was very informative and helpful. I am always early, sometimes by too much, its one of my "peeves" to be late. I have EMT pants, tha I have my Penlight, Hepa mask, Bandage Scissors, note pads, pens, stetho ect all tucked into pockets in. I didnt know what I could do once I got there, so those things you suggested, you can be assured they will be top on my list!

I know my biggest thing is going to be PPE. Thanks :)