Nervous about my first day of Paramedic class

emtkelley

Pick your book up and set it aside party on Fri. sleep on Sat. and relax on sun. hate to say it but its the last you'll see of any of the three for awhile, once class starts find a study buddy someone thats going at the same pace as you and that can push you, do not try to do this on your own, ask questions and advice from as many Paramedics as you can THE VAST MAJORITY OF US REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS LIKE AND ARE MORE THEN WILLING TO HELP. One last thing if your class is anything like mine was your teachers will push you like you've never been pushed before, DON'T GIVE UP, you can make it a lot of us have. 8)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the words of encouragement! My husband is attending class with me so we will be going through this together. He is an Intermediate and has been for several years.

We went out with friends last night and tonight went out for dinner. I am working tomarrow morning cooking brunch at work and then I am going to relax for the rest of the day. I might paint the dining room on Monday as a source of calming my nerves even more. If I keep busy, I find I am much better off.

I so appreciate the offers of help and good wishes and I will take you up on that help! I know there will be things that come up and I will be seeking out that help as the time arises.

Good luck to those who are starting this new phase in their lives as I. I will be documenting my adventures in my blog on MySpace just for fun.

Take care!

Well... thanks for bringing up the topic! Now we know which of us are students and maybe we could actually form a myspace group or something... Just an idea. :P

I start this week and Im not nervous about school itself... just REALLY nervous about my schedule. I currently work 40 hours a week on third shift, and just about every week I have a mandatory double shift (23:00-16:00). I dont know how exaclty Im going to coordinate this with three days a week for paramedic school/clinicals without killing myself. We'll see I guess!

All in all, Im really excited about school. Just hope I have any focus whatsoever after such intense sleep deprivation.

Looks like a lot of us are starting "P" school this fall. For me, this is the second time I've been a paramedic, so I have an idea what to expect, but I know that a lot has changed since the early 90's when I did it the first time. All of the advice I've seen seems to be right on target. Add me to the list of well wishers. Good Luck all.

Well, today was the first day.

Pretty mellow, no pressure. We are a small class (6) with a limited number of instructors. Except for the "FNG", we all have known each other and worked together for a few years. We all get along well.

We had a lot of administrative duties this AM, but late morning, we started pretty hard on A&P. It is very amazing how much you can't remember, and never learned from EMT. On the same note, it comforting knowing how much I learned working with these people, and this service over the years. It will be tough. We already have a lot of reading, and homework assignments due.

The part that sucks so far is official school paperwork. Since we are "at" a college of health sciences, we had physicals, drug testing, child abuse and criminal back round checks, and a bunch of other bureaucratic BS paperwork. I have never gotten so many phone calls and emails stating that I have paperwork missing. Got another one today, after being assured that everything was "OK" when I called to check.

Also, there is no parking. Luckily we know people, and can park at their house. Otherwise, you have to park miles away, and take a hospital bus. it will be much worse in the spring when they close the employee parking garage, and everyone gets bussed.

Well, I'm doing this the hard way... the way the program runs, it's "A&P+Pathophysiology for Paramedics" from 9/6-11/5 then it bridges into "Advanced EMS Care" which is the first Paramedic class...

Well, I'm doing it the hard way... I'm not taking the Paramedic A&P... I'm taking regular Anatomy and Physiology with Lab and regular Pathophysiolgy then starting the Paramedic on 11/5...

So do we want to get an online myspace-type study group thing going? I heard an idea like that from someone back in there...

Take Care, Everyone

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you taking your course??? Just curious. :D

I started yesterday at HVA in Ann Arbor. To say I'm a bit overwhelmed would be an understatement.

Well, I'm doing this the hard way... the way the program runs, it's "A&P+Pathophysiology for Paramedics" from 9/6-11/5 then it bridges into "Advanced EMS Care" which is the first Paramedic class...

Well, I'm doing it the hard way... I'm not taking the Paramedic A&P... I'm taking regular Anatomy and Physiology with Lab and regular Pathophysiolgy then starting the Paramedic on 11/5...

So do we want to get an online myspace-type study group thing going? I heard an idea like that from someone back in there...

Take Care, Everyone