EMT-B Classes

JPINFV, that is a good way to break it down. Just remember that NP's, CNS's, and CRNA's are all considered RN's. They, however, in most cases are RN's educated well beyond the initial RN degree. (Master's level education) In some cases mid level providers (NP's) may practice without direct physician supervision. Ridryder911 may very well have more knowledge than most on advanced practice nurses because of his unique position. How much longer now, Ridryder911? :wink:

Take care,

chbare.

I guess they pair you up with a partner that has been with the company for a while, and you run as the tech for a certain amount of time until they allow you to drive. That's probably not only for insurance reasons, but also based on the rationale that a new employee probably won't know the area well right away.

You guess? Or do you know this happens?

07 good luck with your EMT-B class. This old man did it. after all the tests were passed it took me about two months to get on part time paid was doing volunteer work before being hired. My suggestion, check with the local ambulances services in your area and find out what their hiring practices are

Good Luck Study Hard and welcome to the City you will learn a lot here.

I'd urge you to take the class as soon as you can, you'll learn a lot of stuff that will likely encourage you to keep learning.

Look around your area for volunteer organizations. Many have junior or cadet programs that let high schoolers start riding on some calls and as an EMT you'll be further ahead of those who are simply doing it to pad a college application.

Likewise, many volunteer squads look at 18 being an adult member - although in most cases you won;t be able to drive ambulances yet.

Volunteer squads are aching for new young members.

Get involved now and you'll be happy you did.

07, I understand your situation as i was only 20 when I started in EMS. I had to work as a vehicle service tech for my former company until I turned 21, then I immediately switched on my 21st birthday to a car (I had already finished all of my training+EVOC prior to my birthday) and it worked well for me. I am now employed by AMR(much larger company) and we have drivers under 21, but most of them are at least 20. It is, however, possible to be insured at 18 (at least in AMRNW). My recommendation is to get some schooling out of the way before you start applying to medic school. Here in Oregon, you receive an AAS degree for your trouble, but in most states you are certificate only. You need something to show for your schooling in case it doesn't work out.

You guess? Or do you know this happens?

I know that happens at at least trinity. I'm not sure about the other two, but since i have a total of 8 friends under 20 working for eascare and amr I assume that's how it's done around here.

When i dont have firsthand experience, I say "i guess" sorry for the confusion.

PS-thanks for your help guys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.