Any Chirurgeons here?

smle

I was just wondering if anyone else here played in the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) and if you use your EMS skills as a member of the Chirurgeonate?

For those folks who have no idea what I'm talking about here are a few links to help you out.

www.sca.org

www.chirurgeon.org

http://www.chirurgeon.wastekeep.org/whatis.php

For those who do know what I'm talking about, I am the Deputy Baronial Chirurgeon of the Barony of al-Barran in the Kingdom of the Outlands.

www.outlands.org

www.al-barran.org

Have you ever had to use your mundane training at an event? IE: done more than the Good Sam FA? Some of the bigger events can really generate some "NSTIW" stories.

I'm not sure I follow. Are you asking if we've ever treated someone with other than first aid at a SCA Event???

Isnt' this the same types of groups that attend the renaissance festival type events?

there is a group that I think qualifies in our area but all they do that I can see when I drive to the park that they frequent is they dress up like knights and damsels and beat the heck out of each other with replica wooden swords and shield. Is this the same type of group you are talking about?

I've been on scene on standby for these types of events and I love the middle ages style dress and festivities so I liked it.

Am I off base here or what?

I'm not sure I follow. Are you asking if we've ever treated someone with other than first aid at a SCA Event???

Isnt' this the same types of groups that attend the renaissance festival type events?

there is a group that I think qualifies in our area but all they do that I can see when I drive to the park that they frequent is they dress up like knights and damsels and beat the heck out of each other with replica wooden swords and shield. Is this the same type of group you are talking about?

I've been on scene on standby for these types of events and I love the middle ages style dress and festivities so I liked it.

Am I off base here or what?

A little, but not much.

What I'm asking is are there any folks here who are members of the SCA, are Chirurgeons within the SCA and if any of those folks have had to go above and beyond the BFA level at an event.

You could say the SCA is "similar" to the Ren-Faire groups. There are common interests and some cross over membership. The big difference is that the Ren Faires are done for profit and the SCA is a non-profit educational organization.

The group you are referring to may be SCA, we use rattan weapons, not wood. The beating the heck out of each other sounds like SCA though. If you like the middle ages stuff, you should check out the SCA. There is more to it than the fighting. Let me know where you are and I can point you to a local group. Or just follow the SCA link in my original post. PM me if you like, and we can discuss all things medieval without wasting forum bandwidth.

cool I'm in the KC MO area but with travelling monday thru thursday and then having only 3 days with my son and wife I don't think I can give up some ofthe free time I have to attend this groups meetings or what not.

It's a cool theme though.

I was just wondering if anyone else here played in the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) and if you use your EMS skills as a member of the Chirurgeonate?

For those folks who have no idea what I'm talking about here are a few links to help you out.

www.sca.org

www.chirurgeon.org

http://www.chirurgeon.wastekeep.org/whatis.php

For those who do know what I'm talking about, I am the Deputy Baronial Chirurgeon of the Barony of al-Barran in the Kingdom of the Outlands.

www.outlands.org

www.al-barran.org

Have you ever had to use your mundane training at an event? IE: done more than the Good Sam FA? Some of the bigger events can really generate some "NSTIW" stories.

I was the chirurgeon to the king of Adenveldt, (I think that was the name of the kingdom) also known as the Phoenix greater area. That was way back in 1994. I have since married and moved. :king:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.