UK - US PARAMEDIC EXCHANGE - Anyone Interested?

Hi guys,

I am a UK Paramedic working for the Great Western Ambulance Service - Avon Sector. Here is our website if you're interested http://www.avonamb.nhs.uk.

I'm wondering if any of you guys across the pond would be interested in an exchange of jobs and lifestyles for a set period of time?

I currently work in the historic city of Bath, which as stated above is within the Avon sector of the GWAS. Our catchment area is a mix of both urban and rural and has some of the most beautiful coutryside the UK has to offer.

We provide 24 hr emergency cover to over one million residents, which also includes the regional centre of Bristol city.

We have excellent motorway (freeway) access so the rest of the UK is literally only a few hours drive away.

I am ideally looking to exchange with a Paramedic in a major city, preferably on the east coast of the US, but am flexible on this point.

I think this would be a great opportunity for an exchange of both professional and cultural differences.

If anyone is interested then either leave a reply here or email me at dantucks@aol.com.

Kind regards.

Dan Tucker :lol:

Sounds like a good idea, but I can't help thinking the paperwork will be a nightmare.

I work in a small western town, so I guess I don't qualify, but I'd like to give it a go.

AZCEP already made a very relevant point. Have you considered the following:

· UK / US immigration laws? - which visa would you be entering the US under?

· Reciprocity of qualifications between UK and US? - There are many differences between the two systems. The JRCALC guidelines allow you more flexibility than the protocol-driven nature of EMS in the US. Many of the US systems are voluntary, limiting your choice of location, so you would also need to find a "real job". Most of the paid / private ones wont look at your application unless you are at least an LPR (lawful permanent resident). This takes years to obtain, following the usual background checks, interviews, form filling, and waiting on line at immigration etc (please, no jokes about Central Americans).

· Employment considerations for foreign visitors? - As with foreign workers going to the UK, you cannot be seen to be depriving a US citizen of a job if you wish to work here. In most instances, you need to already have a job in the US, before you can apply for a work visa. An employer won't employ you unless you already have a work visa. It's a vicious circle...

· Green cards / temporary workers permits / social security card / driver's license / car (you will need one) etc?

· Medicals? - Required by the US embassy in London, prior to entry to the US. No one else can do this on their behalf.

· Accommodation? - More expensive than London in some parts of the East Coast.

Not trying to put you off, but it's more difficult than it seems. It can be done, but it would normally consist of several steps, done over several years.

Thanks for your reply Scott33.

However a lot of the issues you have raised are to do with emigration. The difference between emigration and exchanges is that you dont actually/officially take a job in the country you are moving into. The exchange needs to happen at exactly the same time with the backing of both ambulance services. Each person taking part in the exchange remains employed by their current employer. Its kind of like a busmans holiday (dont know if you have that term in the states), it just means a working holiday.

In addition, with regards to accomodation, the exchange can only work if both parties agree to basically swap lives, i.e. houses, cars, etc, etc. obviously have to draw the line at partners as that idiot posted above, but everything else though.

I agree it will be a logistical mountain, but I have met many people who have undertaken this kind of thing and not only to the US but other places further afield like Australia and they have found the pro's far out weigh the con's

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan. That sounds like fun, but alas, I am a lowly EMT-B. However, you might want to contact our Cheif and see what he can do. I'm In Fort Myers Florida. Not a major city, but a busy place anyway. Our web site is LEE-EMS.COM. Have a look and drop a line.

Robin

In addition, with regards to accomodation, the exchange can only work if both parties agree to basically swap lives, i.e. houses, cars, etc, etc. obviously have to draw the line at partners as that idiot posted above, but everything else though.

:roll: Hmm, funny.....wouldn't you be the idiot if you can't tell what a joke is. To make it easier for you next time, when someone uses an "emoticon" after text, and it appears to be one of laughing, smiling, or joking manner, we call that a pretty clear sign it is a joke.

Also, in America we use this thing called spell check when we don't know how to spell. (accommodation)

Calm down Nate :evil: . This is what stops good relations between people in our profession...or until this crap stops, our trade :shock: .

Back on Topic:

I have heard of this before. Just two weeks ago we had 3 firefighters from Sweden come down and ride out with 4 different fire departments. Only 2 firefighters from here went over to Sweden. It's neat to hear the different techniques and lingo :lol: . I found out a city nearby, Clute, means 'Balls' in sweden! :twisted: that's good stuff right there!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.