Long shift = much satisfaction...

smle

Well I worked a marathon shift over the past weekend. Went in at 07:00 Friday and left at 23:00 Sunday! I put 2 kids on the helicopter in 2 days. One was a 3 YOM who got mauled by a big German Shepherd cross dog. MAJOR damage to the head. Then a 12 YOM who rode his motorcycle into the side of a car. Broke his left leg in the mid-shaft femur and the-fib. What made this weekend really satisfying is that I was running my own truck as an EMT-I. I had some good calls and good outcomes and actually helped a few people. Making the step up from EMT-B has made a great difference in my satisfaction level in EMS. Does anybody else feel that moving up in level has made the job better for YOU?

Well I worked a marathon shift over the past weekend. Went in at 07:00 Friday and left at 23:00 Sunday! I put 2 kids on the helicopter in 2 days. One was a 3 YOM who got mauled by a big German Shepherd cross dog. MAJOR damage to the head. Then a 12 YOM who rode his motorcycle into the side of a car. Broke his left leg in the mid-shaft femur and the-fib. What made this weekend really satisfying is that I was running my own truck as an EMT-I. I had some good calls and good outcomes and actually helped a few people. Making the step up from EMT-B has made a great difference in my satisfaction level in EMS. Does anybody else feel that moving up in level has made the job better for YOU?

Well two days ago we had a lady who fell down a flight of stairs and landed on a cement floor in the basement. We figure she was there about an hour before she was found. She was semi-conscious, lethargic, GCS 11 (E1V4M6) and had crackles throughout with a sat of mid-80's on NRB@15lpm.

It was good for me in that I am a student and I was able to run the call with no problem. It showed me that I can handle myself even with critical pts.

Turned out she had a subdural bleed and the stated her to a neuro-capable facility. Don't know if she is sitll alive or not. We were only on scene somewhere around 15 mins which is really good considering having to extricate her from the house etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.