Becoming an EMT

So I've got plans to get my NREMT-B this summer, and I'm hoping to start working as soon as possible. Do most community colleges have career placement opportunities? Or should I be trying to talk to hospitals?

I also have a habit of second guessing myself. I really want to be an EMT and help people and give back to the community, just because I always feel good when I help someone. Do you all love your jobs? Why did you get started? I'd love to have someone with a good bit of experience to bounce ideas off of and chat with, my Screen Name for AIM is capntrips1223, thanks

I can't speak for anyone else on here although i think that most will agree, Of course I love this job.. Why else would i tolerate the long hours time and commitment away from my family and the endless education that comes as part of the package.. Not to mention the low wages and lack of respect from other areas of healthcare.

as you get in to this more and more you will find that this is more than a job .. this is a lifestyle. it will become a major part of you as you progess in to other levels futhering your education. And it is just that education, not training. You will have to posess a need for knowledge in the field and have the drive to go and get it. Remember a couple things, no matter what we may say to you here, we were all where you are now.

There are no stupid questions....

We are all more than happy to share our experience as well as our opinions. Take it for what its worth and go on.

Race

I know how you feel, I am in a volunteer organization so it is a lot different from a lot of the members on this site. However I can tell you I started in EMS when I was seventeen with nothing more than a first aid/CPR card, now I just got my EMT-b and I am still learning things, and I still have a passion for it. Even though we don't have calls every day I still can have the satisfaction that I am giving back to my community, and there are always opportunities to go to classes and learn new things and refresh myself on things I haven't done in awhile. Good Luck!! and Have Fun.... I did!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.