subpoena

Parapup

I recieved my first (and hopefully last) subpoena in the mail about two days ago. I'm a little nervous about it. The only thing the subpoena list is the name of the person vs. the state. I called the courthouse and the office told me that they can't give out any information about the person. I am kind of at a loss now because this happened like two years ago. I dont have a birthdate, social..etc. I have talked to my ops manager and the office girls and they are having a hard time locating the run ticket. Court is in six days and I guess I'm going to have to go in there blind. :D ...Any advice?

You should never have this problem because every job you do should be well documented on a PCR. Good documentation should allow you to be able to give an acurate testimony without looking like you screwed anything up.

And your company had better find it... I would be pretty pissed at them if I were you. Although I will admit there isn't much they can ask you about if your company lost the PCR... it's not your responsability to remember things that happend years ago or to keep copies of reports.

Treat it like one of your scenes.

Stay calm, answer honestly, if you don't know or remember--say so.

Most agencies will keep paperwork for 5-7 years depending on location, so it becomes a matter of tracking it down.

Thanks everyone, by the way it is state vs. person. Sorry!!!

As long as you aren't that person, don't sweat it. They will more than likely have a copy of your PCR there anyhow. Go over it when given the chance and refresh yourself. If there is anything you do not absolutely, positively remember for an absolute, crystal clear fact, just say, "I don't recall." That simple. Nobody's going to badger you about your memory. And neither side wants you guessing or making stuff up without any recollection. And, if your employer isn't paying you for that day in court, find another job. They suck.

And your company had better find it... I would be pretty pissed at them if I were you. Although I will admit there isn't much they can ask you about if your company lost the PCR... it's not your responsability to remember things that happend years ago or to keep copies of reports.

A name wouldn't help much, we are still paper based. We would need a date; otherwise you'd be searching through 46,000+ calls a year to find one person (and then wonder which call it is if they have been transported more then once).

If there is anything you do not absolutely, positively remember for an absolute, crystal clear fact, just say, "I don't recall."

Indeed. "I don't recall" is the best thing you can say.

If you say "I don't know" it implies you might never have known. "I don't recall" implies that you knew at one time but due to reasonable circumstances (e.g. time between the call and the court date) you've forgotten. Don't say "I forget" as it just makes you look dumb.

Otherwise, follow Dust's advice. It's good stuff.

Good luck.

-be safe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.