Paramedic Students Unite!

I notice that a lot of people on this site seem to be medic students and many of us are just starting out so we are sort of experiencing this together. The purpose of this thread is to find out who the other medic students are and where in the program they are. I'll go first...

I started my medic class in January of this year. We are doing A&P until April then we will begin the paramedic curriculum with intro to adv practices, adv airway, pharmacology, and IVs. First clinicals start in late May, just doing IVs in day surgery and intubations in the OR. Currently we are in the cardiovascular section of A&P. My class will last a total of 15 months and will include 240 hours of ambulance ride outs and 480 hours (may not be exact number...) in various hospital rotations.

Next!

edit to add: This goes for Canadian ALS students as well, or whatever other country you may be from.

• Like 1

Well what a coincedence, I started my meic program in January as well. We are doing A&P, Neuro, Pharmo( that covers all administration routes ) and our medications we can administer as EMT's here in Alberta. We are also doing infection control, skills labs (refreshing our EMT skills).

Then in April we will be starting our first of three ambulance practicums that will last 340 hours. This will take us until June and then we return in Aug for our second semester which will last until Dec '06 and we will be starting our advanced skills then and more indepth A&P on the oragan systems.

• Like 1

I started in January too... although we jumped right into intermediate interventions, and a basic overview of an EMT-I. In order to get my Associate's Degree when I'm done, I have to take an A & P class on my own time. My class is part time, lasts about 18 months, and I'm doing it while still working my full time job.

We have to do a minimum of 48 hospital clinical hours each semester. During clinicals, we're also required to get 50 successful IV sticks, 20 intubations and 30 complete written patient assessments each semester. After that, at the end of the program, we must complete a 300 hour (25- 12 hour shifts) internship with our county EMS agency.

But we just finished our intermediate class last week, and next comes pharmacology... yay. :wink:

• Like 1

Well....... I am just starting school and getting the general education out of the way and then med part starts in the fall semester, we have to have 48 hours of clinicals for basic , 120 hours of clinicals in pc2 and then 220 hours of clinicals in pc 4 and then also in PC 4 we have 330 hours of internship.all together the medic art of it will take approximately 16 months <considering i don't screw things up lol>

Nice to have other students here to help each other out , this thread is a great ideal "Jennifer : :D~

I started my medic school last Aug. My first semester was OK. All we done was pt assessments. We had to learn how to do a full history and physical on a pt. In that semester we only had 48 hours that we done in Er's to get our assessments good. We also had to give a 15 min presentation over either professionalism or injury prevention. In this semester we are going over the intermediate stuff and also trauma and shock. This semester we are doing 120 hours or so. 32 in OR, 36 in a ER, 48 at a EMS and 12 in ICU. I also have to write a 10 page paper this semester. Next semester it gets a little harder. We are going to be doing medical emergency and cardiac stuff. I think that semester is bout 140 - 160 hours of clinical time. Our last semester is Ped's,OB and stuff like that. I think that semester is all of 200 hours plus of clinical time. We also have to help teach a hour of basic school. The way I understand that is they pic a day for you to be there and you have to teach what ever they are going over. No prep just here is your subject and teach. We also have to do a community service project in our last semester. Before we graduate we have to spend 48 hours with our medical director of the program and pass that and pass a gate keeper time with a paramedic. We had to take a separate pharmacology class and everything.

Brock

I started in medic class oct 05 we are now doing ER clinicals as well as CCU we are doing trauma and MOI... so far we have covered all the leagal stuff all the way up to pharmacology and most recent airway/advanced airway.....done my first ER clinical this past saturday it was AWSOME I done IV's all night, drew labs, assessments ....needless to say i had a great preceptor and i can't wait till my next rotation

Hey ya all...I’m from southern Cal... IV been in school since Aug. and still going strong!! im in the last portion of my clinical of 430hrs of Adult ER, PEDS ER, ICU, PICU, PEDS Clinic, OR, Respiratory and also we have to do 72hrs of community service. Our program is about 12-15months long of a full academy style school. Ill Start my internship on the 15th of April, 20shifts with a private ALS rig (AMR) then we go over to the fire side for 20shifts there, for a total of 540hrs. It’s a lot of work but it will all pay off. Its also nice to see that other school around the states are longer than six months like ours......since the other schools here in California are about six months long....anyway wish you all the best of luck!!!!

I have been in medic school since Feb of 2005.I have 1 year left.I am in KS so we have to graduate with an Associates Degree.We start clinicals in May the internship in Sept.We have a total of 500 hours internship on a paramedic service.This corelates to 21 24-hour shifts.We are just finishing up OB/Gyn Neonatology. Will be taking PALS and NALS here shortly.

Its also nice to see that other school around the states are longer than six months like ours......since the other schools here in California are about six months long...

Is your school actually longer, or are the same hours just dragged out over twice the calendar time?

And if you are so concerned about inadequate education, why didn't you take the degree program course?