EMT Career Path, Need advice

taboo

Ok I have a ? Is there by any chance any kind of insight about what should I do with this EMT career. Only reason why I am saying this is because I know I will be done with my class in March. I dont know how about going to companies, also I dont know if I should work for a private company forst or go for the 911. Also I know it takes about a yr. for everything to all fall into place but should I take some phlebotomy classes while I am working so I can step up my game. Im from NY so if anyone can give me some good insight or info. I would really appreciate it. Thanxxxxxxxx :?: :P

Moved to different area and title changed to reflect carrer path direction questions..AKflightmedic

Pathophysiology would be a better class to take.

Apply to any company or service you have a chance to. work where you can until you get you medic cert. then it will be easier to pick and choose where you want to work.

by the way where are you from ?

You'll learn phlebotomy in fifteen minutes of medic school. There is no benefit to a "head start" on it unless you intend to get a job as a phlebotomist while in school. Most would recommend that you don't look for shortcuts or head starts to ALS education through phlebotomy or ACLS classes. It's a waste of time and money. Take the education in it's logical order as it is offered in medic school. Spend your time and money on something useful and valuable -- education. Go take a couple semesters of Anatomy & Physiology, algebra and English. Be a professional, not a labourer.

Good luck!

Yep....Dust is right on. Get the degree...too many unfortunate accidents can happen in EMS....have something to fall back on just in case and do it while you are young enough. It's much harder later, obviously. I'd ditch the phlebotomy thoughts as well...paramedic school will teach you everything you need to know in this respect.

• 6 months later...

Rather than learning the stuff that you'll be doing in Medic school beforehand, learn about what they *won't* teach you.... Anatomy, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology (not the medic version, the all out stuff that they make other programs take) go to expand, not to take a shortcut.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.