How to get to Flight Nurse

Matak96

Hey guys I have a question on how to become a flight nurse. So I already have an EMT background completed. I tried to apply for a bachelor in Nursing but I didn’t get in. And now I don’t know what to do. There is a school near me to become an RN and there’s another school that offers the paramedic program. Which route do you guys recommend I take? I also have the other option of trying to apply again to the school of bachelor in nursing but it will take a year until I find out if I get in or not. What do you all suggest I do? Should I wait to hear back from that school again or should I go for paramedic or just get my RN then do a bridge to paramedic to be a flight nurse?

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2020 at 10:49 PM, Matak96 said:

Hey guys I have a question on how to become a flight nurse. So I already have an EMT background completed. I tried to apply for a bachelor in Nursing but I didn’t get in. And now I don’t know what to do. There is a school near me to become an RN and there’s another school that offers the paramedic program. Which route do you guys recommend I take? I also have the other option of trying to apply again to the school of bachelor in nursing but it will take a year until I find out if I get in or not. What do you all suggest I do? Should I wait to hear back from that school again or should I go for paramedic or just get my RN then do a bridge to paramedic to be a flight nurse?

From what I know of the US system I would suggest getting your RN and doing some form of Paramedic bridging program. Take that with a grain of salt however as I've come up through the Canadian system where working your way to the Critical Care Paramedic (CCP) level is the best way to gain entry to air ambulance work (1 year PCP education, 2 year ACP education, 2 year CCP education). As you can see the path is roughly 5 years of post secondary paramedic education in Canada, which you'll find is markedly different from the US path.

Edited by rock_shoes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.