yearly registration fees, con-ed credit amounts

Hi folks...

looking for some feedback from around the EMS world... each year, we do our credits/con-ed/however the system may be in your area. awesome, totally support con-ed/credits/growth/etc.

So here's my query:

What's your (state/province/country)'s method? and price?

I'm a paramedic in Alberta, Canada. We're just getting in gear with a new CISM model. do courses, get credits. attend AGM, get credits. seems great, except that the scoring of things seems rather, um, skewed let's say...

here, read for yourselves:
https://www.collegeofparamedics.org/home/continuing-competence/the-continuing-competence-program.aspx

so, 2 days at AGM is worth twice of 2 days PALS course. or ITLS. or NRP. you tell me, which is more useful to the practitioner!!!!

and here's proof of our (exorbitant in my opinion) $425 fee

https://www.collegeofparamedics.org/home/becoming-a-practitioner/registration/fees.aspx

so, how do we measure up to you non-albertans??

please share links of proof if possible, i would like to compile information to take with me to the AGM that this year actually falls on my days off, and doesn't require me travelling half way across the province and paying for hotel etc (unlike previous years). However for many other practitioners, much gas and hotel and restaurant fees shall be paid to attend!

sincerely,

Bitter in Alberta!

I've already sent an email to ACP regarding my displeasure with the new con-ed system.

Last week I wrote them, mentioning how ridiculous it is that in order to complete ones necessary con-ed requirements a practitioner must attend the AGM at least once over 2 years. I personally think that this creates an inequality between employees, depending on where they live in the province. Those around or in Edmonton will have less expense for travel time and accommodation then those of us who have to travel greater distances to attend, not to mention taking time off work.

Furthermore, why should we be forced to the AGM whatsoever? While I think it actually is a worthwhile event, there is no bylaw in the college stating that we must attend. However, now suddenly there is this crass, backdoor scheme to force peoples attendance, as now you can't achieve your registration requirements without making an appearance at this conference.

I find this to be very disgraceful behavior on the college's part, and quite frankly they should be ashamed of themselves. Ironically, I may have to travel to the AGM to properly express my concern about this.

• Like 1

Hmm, I read over the document, but it says nothing of a mandatory attendance to the AGM. It does, however, mention an alternative option to gaining the free credits one could acquire at the AGM.

I don't share in your displeasure HellsBells. This appears to be an earnest effort to ensure practitioners actually engage in continuing education as opposed to just clicking a mouse in CIMS.

I agree the credit allotments are going to need to be tweaked (especially the AGM stuff) but that's doable. I sent Tim an e-mail this morning with a number of questions and look forward to his response. We have an educated paramedic professional at the helm right now. Lets give him a chance here.

I just spent 225 for ACLS

185 for PALS

ITLS is free

CPR is free

I sent 100.00 for ulimited Con ed to meet my 150 hours of education that I haven't taken for the last 5 years.

So you can see my total cost is nearly 500 once every 5 years for me. It's kind of tough to scrape up all that money because I'm paying out of pocket

oh I thought that the 435 was the total amount with Con ed and all the alphabet soup courses.

$435.00 is pretty steep for relicensure. I think the state of MIssouri is like 10 bucks to relicense. I'll let you know when I relicense in December.

Hmm, I read over the document, but it says nothing of a mandatory attendance to the AGM. It does, however, mention an alternative option to gaining the free credits one could acquire at the AGM.

Arctickat, there is no mention of manatory attendence, I'm stating that it is mandatory attendence by default, becasue as it stands now, it is pretty much impossible to obtain the 120 nessesary credits without attending the AGM. I'm including the 30 credits for the professionalism course offered online for those that can't make it to the AGM.

I don't share in your displeasure HellsBells. This appears to be an earnest effort to ensure practitioners actually engage in continuing education as opposed to just clicking a mouse in CIMS.

I agree the credit allotments are going to need to be tweaked (especially the AGM stuff) but that's doable. I sent Tim an e-mail this morning with a number of questions and look forward to his response. We have an educated paramedic professional at the helm right now. Lets give him a chance here.

I have a lot of respect for Tim; I was very happy when he decided to scrap the CIMS in favour of actual continuing education. This is not what I excepted from him. This new credit system should not have been rolled out half-baked, as it is now. I know that there is more yet to come, in terms of approved courses, but I have no idea what that will be.

So far all of the courses approved (with the execption of the online professionalism course) carry a considerable financial weight. Considering what we already pay for our registration dues, and testing, this added monetary burden is not acceptable in my opinion. If considerable options for credits are added, for free or at low cost, I may change my tune on this matter.

However, I can only comment on what is currently offered. From what I see that offering falls far short of what I expected.

I think I am also disappionted because of the fact that Tim is at the helm, as he is a huge proponent of evidence based medicine in the paramedic profession. Maybe its just me, but consider the following:

Guest Speaker: Darren Sandbeck Future of the Professional in Paramedicine - 10 credits

Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) Provider Course- 10 credits

Where is the evidence that listening to a speech on professionalism holds the same weight as a course on neonatal resuscitation?

Edited by HellsBells

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.