EMT charged in fatal hit-and-run - Chicago Tribune

News

6.jpg

CBS2 Chicago

EMT charged in fatal hit-and-run

Chicago Tribune

Detectives said they learned Hernandez worked as an EMT for a private ambulance company in Skokie and set up surveillance before arresting him, police said. Hernandez was taken into custody Wednesday and "has provided statements admitting to his ...

EMT Charged With Fatal North Suburban Hit-And-RunCBS2 Chicago

Skokie EMT Charged in Fatal Hit-and-RunPatch.com

Skokie man charged in fatal hit-and-run of Park Ridge manChicago Daily Herald

Journal & Topics Newspapers Online -Skokie Review

all 10 news articles »

View the full article

Where I work an extract of criminal record is required.

That's because in case of trouble, we want to avoid the press doing what it is doing right here: putting forward the EMT status of the man, even when the offense had nothing to do with his status nor his missions.

Would you read an article titled: "Hairdresser charged in fatal hit-and-run"? Or "Teacher charged in fatal hit-and-run"?

The title is misleading and makes you think an ambulance smashed that poor man. It's really dishonest and bring discredit to EMTs in general.

I didn't wait for the Chicago Tribune to tell me that EMT can commit criminal offenses too. But hey, they need to sell paper...

I think you are being overly sensitive about believing the media is just out to get EMTs. The article never mentioned an ambulance and give a description of the vehicle he drove.

If you google "hit and run" you will find anyone including nurses, teachers lawyers, mayors and police officers who have been headlines. It all depends upon you own interest as to whether someone will read the article. Many will care less about a hit and run since it is barely news worthy unless it is in a very small town or maybe a sports superstar is involved.

But, don't you find it just a little "catchy" that someone who holds the title of EMT would hit someone and then leave them along side of the road to die?

This is not much different than a school teacher who makes headlines for having sex with his or her students or a Police Officer accused of rape or murder.

The headlines come from situations of irony where you hold a position of trust or to protect and become the person others should be protected from.

The media could have made a bigger issue out of the 7 arrests for this guy who was still working on an ambulance but didn't. I think EMS discredits itself here.

Edited by eb1040

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.