Most Important First-Aid Information

c9b5

I'm working at a camp for 3-6 year olds this summer and am the only staff member with any training above basic Red Cross first aid and/or CPR. Some staff don't have any training. Essentially, if any type of medical emergency / trauma arises, I'm the go-to person. I'm going to brief the staff on some very basic first-aid. What do you think are some of the most important pieces of information to tell them? Keep in mind that I can generally be on the scene of any incident within about 2 minutes or less.

Some topics I plan to touch on are:

• major bleeding (applying pressure)
  • BSI
  • basic c-spine precautions / not moving an injured camper

I know there are a few other big ones I'm missing. Any thoughts?

How about basic CPR or airway management...course if you aren't an instructor, teaching that might not be a good idea. I'm pretty sure that unless they are going to be water skiing or diving or falling more than a couple of feet, cspine management is going to be a non issue as well as broken bones. Kids are pretty resilient and God willing the only thing you will be doing is handing out the scooby doo band aids for skinned knees and elbows.

A camp full of 3-6 yr olds....I would packing some Valium for my nerves. Good luck

Edited for spelling

Edited by nypamedic43

Are you saying the rest of the staff will have Red Cross first aid *and* CPR? First aid *or* CPR? Or will only some have first aid, other have CPR and some will have nothing?

How rural will this camp be? How far from a phone will staffers be? Have they managed to run this camp without an EMT on staff in previous years?

You may be better served in convincing the staff management to require first aid *and* CPR of all staff.

As for what to teach other staffers, honestly, I think I'd be hesitant to teach them anything especially if you're not an instructor. I hate to be playing to the lawyers here but if the camp management doesn't have policies in place on how to handle an emergency then the liability will fall back to them. If you start teaching people things you run the risk of either running afoul of the camp policies or transferring some of that liability to you if it can be argued that you taught someone incorrectly.

Perhaps you can just tell the staff to find you immediately should something arise. This might be the best idea especially if you're really less than two minutes away.

Some have zero training, some have CPR only, some have first aid & CPR. The unofficial policy is to find me if something happens and to call 911. Ambulance response is generally about 10-15 minutes. I just thought it may be a good idea for them to know some basics while they send someone to get me.

Arctickat - Definitely something to stress!

Best thing may be to just tell them that if they suspect any injury that warrants more than a band-aid, to not move the kid and find me ASAP. That way, no more harm will be done and I don't have to worry about training legalities.

I need to know a LOT of information about your setup before I can offer anything specific. I am a Venturing adult leader, and have been a camp medic at a large BSA camp. I have a lot of good tips, but I need more info from you before I can say anything useful.

How big is this camp? How are you handling campers with medications? Do y'all have radios? Do you have a water area? Does that water area have certified lifeguards? Do you do climbing? Horseback riding?

Are you just a dedicated medic, or do you have another role as well? How will you manage both roles if you've got more than just the medic stuff? How many staffers do you have? How many campers do you have? How long do they stay? What altitude are you at? Are they sleeping in tents or cabins? Is there heat in those cabins for cold nights? Do they cook their own food, or is it a dining hall setup?

How are you documenting care you will be providing? What level are you expected to practice at? What's your support like- who's your transporting agency? Do you have a medical director? Are you actually practicing under your licensure?

I'd say you've got a good start with "don't do anything stupid and please find me" but I'd like to know more.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN Student

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.