Advanced EMT/EMT Intermediate 2011 curricula

I think the reason that this course is so different from the NREMT-I/99 is that they realized that every state and even every system within a state has a different definition of the EMT-I since they had the NREMT-I/85 then they bridge to the 99 in some areas and other areas kept the 85 and added the 99. The Intermediate level got carried away in some states, they either limited what they could do or expanded it to include too many Paramedic skills without the proper education.

Example: In Iowa we have the EMT-I (NREMT-I/85) and the EMT-P (NREMT-I/99). Both are "intermediate" level but one gains IV skills and blood draws over the basic. And the other is a "Paramedic" with some skills removed. So a Iowa EMT-P is moving to Illinois and he gives them his Iowa card that says EMT-P and he is given a Paramedic certificate in that State, but he really isn't a Paramedic (this actually happened). This individual went on and moved to Missouri and was given a Paramedic certification there too. Remember this individual never even enrolled into a Paramedic course.

So now Sates have to transition to the new levels which are much better defined and explained, hopefully causing less issues between States.

I think that is why this new level is going to be hard to teach at first since we were all teaching the NREMT-I/85 or the 99 and in some instances both. I think this new level is going to be a good balance between the two.