EMS management training needed

I honestly think you need to nail down exactly what your learning objectives need to be. Examples: organizational culture issues, training issues, personnel issues, employee retention, management vs leadership, budget, compliance, motivation, etc.

If this is to only be a 2 day class, I would identify a few particular needs and have the speaker focus on them. Poll the stakeholder agencies and ask them for a wish list of topics they would like to be covered. I wrote and teach an EMS administration class and it's designed for an entire semester. Depending on the topics chosen, you need to have enough time for group exercises to reinforce the teaching points.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

A two to three day course is meant to do one of two things.

Cover a myriad of things only one millimeter thick or cover one or two things an inch thick.

Do you want to cover one thing that is plagueing your organization, then bring in one orgnanization that can focus on that item really good and spend 12-16 hours on that subject.

This all depends on how much grant money you have to spend. The more money you have the bigger the presentation and from farther away you can bring the speaker(s) from.

You also have to remember that you will need to factor in airfare/hotel/logistics into all this as well has speaker expenses. All that is not cheap. Consider that my expenses for my weekly travels runs 250 per day. And I'm not a high paid speaker. Double that amount for a good high paid speaker like Steve Berry.

I initially looked into brining a very well known speaker/entertainer and here is what his expenses ran to bring him for a private show for our service club, but more connected people made it happen. but here was the breakdown as to what this person cost our organization.

First class airfare(required for both him and his assistant)

Premium car rental

$800 per diem

private room for refreshments and he had a list of stuff we had to purchase for his well being and multiple props

luxury hotel suite for him and his props

limosine service to and from the speaking venue

35,000.00 per day fees

We paid for his assistant (same as above expenses they shared premium car though and private refreshment room)

The event was a smash. I had nothing in the end to do with getting him to our event, I just attended the event. But it was an incredible night.

Edited by Captain Kickass

Google "Corportate Training and your city/state". I used to work for a hospital-based EMS as a manager, and they would bring someone in to teach us something at our annual management planning sessions (usually 2 days of speakers). You would be amazed at how much regular corporate training crosses over into healthcare. Since you are a multi-department group you might want to focus on teamwork or communication skills. Updates in medical law or grant funding could also be useful, strategic planning and or budgeting would also be useful in this economy. Or, many of these companies will come out and do "events" that teach instead of just speaking. I remember one on where we were divided into teams and we each had to build an exact replica (every color block had to match exactly) of a lego building that was in the center of the room, we could view it, but we could not touch or move it. We had to take turns being the "viewer" who went and looked and then reported back to the builders (could not write stuff down). Sounds corny, but we learned alot about communication and teamwork from that one simple exercise. Anyhow, one of these people would be much cheaper than a celebrity, and if it's local, you wouldn't have to pay for a hotel room for them, unless you keep them over for both days. I would get the group together via email and just ask, "What do you think you or your department's biggest weakness is?", and go from there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.