EMT student with a question about bridge courses! Help!

adp87

I am an LPN, which means that I already have IV certification and have taken a college level pharmacology class. I am currenty in an EMT-B class and am testing this month. I was curious if anyone out there knows if there is a way for a nurse to take the basic class and then bridge into an EMT-A? The only difference between a basic and an advanced is the ability to start IVs and there are more medications you are able to give...both of these things involve training that I already have. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Congratulations on your studies.

First the difference between an EMT-B and a EMT- A goes far beyond starting IV's and Extra Meds. Being able to understand why and how to run said IV's and administer the meds is vital. Don't fall for that whole mindset that EMT's save Medics and it is all the same except for a few additional skills. There is a reason medics can administer Meds and EMT's cannot. EMTs are limited to meds that one would have to be grossly negligent to screw up. Medics administer meds that can kill their patients with a minor mistake or misdiagnosis.

The good news is that there is a bridge class between EMT-Basic and EMT- Advanced. It is readily available in most of the US jurisdictions if not all of them. I think it is called EMT- Intermediate.

• Like 1

I am an LPN, which means that I already have IV certification and have taken a college level pharmacology class. I am currenty in an EMT-B class and am testing this month. I was curious if anyone out there knows if there is a way for a nurse to take the basic class and then bridge into an EMT-A? The only difference between a basic and an advanced is the ability to start IVs and there are more medications you are able to give...both of these things involve training that I already have. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

By the way, good job on getting your lpn and going to EMT-B class.

What state are you in?

I would suspect that you would not be able to do this until you have the initials RN and EMT-P after your name.

Why not do the unthinkable and call your state bureau of EMS.

Edited by Captain Kickass