Exploring the possibility of being a Paramedic but have a few questions

How do you like your job? Is it stressful? Are most shifts 24 hours at a time? Are the daily stresses debilitating?

Also a few other questions. I have an eye condition which is responsible for me having VERY bad night vision will this in some way prevent me from working as a paramedic?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you like your job? Is it stressful? Are most shifts 24 hours at a time? Are the daily stresses debilitating?

Any job is stressful, I think some things Paramedics have the potential to be more stressful than other things encountered in civilian life but it is how you handle them; if you go home and think about it 24/7 yes you will become a debilitated wreck and burn out.

You must remain empathetic yet objective.

Shifts can be anywhere from 8 to 10 to 12 to 14 or 16 or 24 or 48 hours long depending on which part of the world you are in.

Also a few other questions. I have an eye condition which is responsible for me having VERY bad night vision will this in some way prevent me from working as a paramedic?

Again, this depends entirely on which part of the world you are in

Locally speaking yes it most likely would because we swap driving-attending each call and our standard roster includes 2 night shifts

Most employers who have day shift and night shifts have the day shifts as a seniority based shifts.

So more than likely a day shift will not be in the cards for this person.

But if he's going to be a medic for this service and he/she has an EMT driver then I don't see an issue with the driving for him/her.

But is the eye issue so bad that he/she can't see or work well at night at all?

If so then the OP will more than likely be really hard pressed to be employable as a medic in any system since most likely he/she will have to work a night shift at some time or another.

NOW that being said

If the eye condition just affects your ability to drive at night then there should not be an issue in working if it's only affecting your ability to drive.

but if this condition affects other aspects of your ability to function at night such as being able to see at all at night for example, on the side of the road with red lights, blue lights and head lights such as those at the scene of an accident, then think long and hard about working as a medic at night.

if you have a hard time seeing while walking at night in your backyard then think long and hard about working as a medic at night.

if you have a hard time being in a car while it's driving at night then DEFINATELY think long and hard about being a medic and working at night.

BUT That all being said

There are jobs that a medic can do that do not require you to be outside working at night, and I'm not giong to sway you against getting your medic.

But remember this, during your clinicals, you will be required to participate on the ambucab. Many of the clinical shifts may be at night but you probably can swing your scheduled shifts on the day shift.

Don't let this eye thing get in the way of doing what you want but it will be a hill you will have to climb over and get around.

Good luck

Main bit of advice......dont end up like kiwi :)

The EOC Allocator in me is forseeing active area cover for the next forever in your future as well as being paired with a brand new ECA

Hang on it's the phone

Why yes this is Extremely Busy Station oh hello red base, what's what? Mike is on another complex you say, I'm operationally single you say, no brand new ECA's to pair me up with? what a shame, I've been moved to Sleepy Station (part of Nice Quiet Complex) you say? sure, I can head on over.

Gosh, sucks for you mate :D

Some services have an EMT/medic crew and the EMT always drives. Look around in your area, you night vision may not be an issue at all, then again it might.

As far as job stress, some people are at home in EMS and some are not.

Two new medics roll up to a multiple car accident with people and bodies scattered everywhere. One medic throws up and passes out the other falls in love. You just have to figure out which one you are.

Edited by DFIB

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.