BS v. AAS

Ignite44

Considering I'm working on getting started on a BS in paramedicine degree this year, I sure hope so!

Seriously, though, a bachelors degree DOES confer a lot of benefits, although they're not always immediately received. You make yourself more competitive for employment and promotion, learn a lot about management and business and hopefully get some additional clinical knowledge out of it as well, and--arguably most importantly--give yourself the option to continue on to to graduate school or some other non-EMS profession if EMS doesn't pan out for you.

Where I live (Kansas), an associates degree is required to become a paramedic here, however unfortunately we don't have any bachelors degree programs in EMS here. I'm currently looking at Northern Arizona University and the University of Pittsburgh for my four year degree (as they have online options and also give credit for existing paramedics/paramedics with AAS degrees).

thanks, I was just thinking spending-wise if going for the BS would be worth it. As you probably know, a community college is way cheaper than a 4 year college.

thanks, I was just thinking spending-wise if going for the BS would be worth it. As you probably know, a community college is way cheaper than a 4 year college.

Don't think of it as a community college being cheaper than a four year college. Think about it in terms of your return on your investment. Sure, a four year college might be more expensive up front. But how is that going to pay off for you five years down the road? Ten years? Twenty years?

Just something else to think about.

Echoing Mike there.

I got my bachelors then 10 years later I went for my masters. After 37K in debt over 2 years I now have a job that pays pretty darn good. My investment was 37K and I'm realizing a return on investment of about 75% above what I was making without the Masters. It required a change in careers full time but it was worth it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.