Help for a doctor

doctec

Hi! I am a spanish physician (family medicine physician). I have been working in ER and in ambulances in Spain (we do not have paramedics so, there is always a doc in the ambulance). Now, my wife is coming to the USA for two years and I am coming with her. As it is very difficult to work as a doctor here, I have thought about working as a EMT/Paramedic.

Anybody can tell me if is possible?

Do I need any course or examn?

Thank you for your help

All states require you take an EMT course followed by a practical and written exam. The length of the course and testing procedures vary from state to state. I think all states require you to be an EMT-Basic before you can apply for paramedic school and many states require you to be an EMT for a minimum of 6 months to a year before you can even apply to Paramedic school. You may be able to get around these requirements du to the fact that you are a physician but you would hve to check with your state's department of health to be sure.

Hi! I am a spanish physician (family medicine physician). I have been working in ER and in ambulances in Spain (we do not have paramedics so, there is always a doc in the ambulance). Now, my wife is coming to the USA for two years and I am coming with her. As it is very difficult to work as a doctor here, I have thought about working as a EMT/Paramedic.

Anybody can tell me if is possible?

Do I need any course or examn?

Thank you for your help

The requirements and licensure for EMTs and paramedics in the US falls to the individual states, including issues of reciprocity. Some states allow licensed health care providers such as physicians and registered nurses to essentially just take the test for that level, others don't allow any professional reciprocity, and the rest falls somewhere in between. Of course, an important note is that these require current licensure, which may be an issue for you. My suggestion would be to contact both the state medical board to see if they are willing to license you as a physician, and if you want to follow the route of going into EMS, contact the state EMS board or agency and see if they are willing to work with you.

Buenos dias y bienvenido al foro! Have you already looked into getting your medical license here in the United States? What is the process like? I know it can be difficult for doctors from another country to practice in the United States, but I didn't expect that coming from Spain you would have such difficulty. Can you tell us more about EMS in Spain? I'm interested in learning more about what things are like for you working on an ambulance as a physician.

I thought about working as a paramedic, because if I want to get my medical license I have to repeat part of my residence. There is no problem with the exams, but I do not want to be a resident again, and we are coming to the USA only for two or three years.

In Spain, we have different kind of ambulances. In the ICU ambulances always there is a nurse, a driver, an EMT and a physician (usually family physician). I like the job and I think that this would be a good experience.

Ask me whatever you want here or in my email (aniento@hotmail.com)

What state are you and your wife coming to? That is really the most important first question because then we can give you specific resources to look into.

I would not necessarily bank on being able to get into critical care transport (interfacility ICU) because that often has very specific experience requirements. It all depends on how your licensure is viewed here and unfortunately I don't know enough about Spain to be of much help there.

Are you sure that you have to repeat residency? Where did you get that info from? Also what is your specialty there in Spain?

In any case good luck to you!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Can you tell us more about what kind of medications you carry on your ambulances in Spain and what kind of treatments you provide for patients? I'm curious to know how ambulances run by physicians differ from those run by paramedics. Do you treat and release? Refer patients to other resources besides simply taking them to the ER?

Our ambulances are intensive care units and we can do inside almost anything. There is a driver in the front and, in the back, a physician, a nurse and a technician.

We treat all we can treat and, if not, we take patient to the ER. We solve most of the situations in the place where we can find the patient (street, home...)

What kind of medication? There is a very long list? Any in particular?

For Eydawn: I asked the medical board of family physicians, and they told me that I had to repeat one or two years of my residence after passing the steps. I am a family physician, but I have worked in a ER and in an ambulance.

Thank you to all

Oh! I am going to be in California (maybe LA or San Diego)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.