School to become a paramedic?

Greed21

At least you recognize that Paramedic School is not a walk in a park.

We're proud to fail students who deserve to fail....

Plz see my thread regarding EMT Certification Restructuring: which the majority of ppl disagree.....

Proud to fail student?????????? You have got to ge kidding???????????

In regards to the restructuring which majority of people disagree..........take a hint!!!!

The instructors position is not to try to fail students, but to prepare them for the Paramedic testing and hopefully subsequent employment. You should be trying to help the student as much as you can, and direct them to be successful. Granted, if the student is not capable to meet the standards of what is taught, then dismiss them with grace and encourage them to try again after a period of reflection or EMT experience. Being 'proud' of failing someone is not what a good instructor does.

Edited by P_Instructor

Well thank you all for your insight. I completely agree after hearing what you had to say about the difference between a degree program and just a class you can take. I think i will take the path of getting my AS in paramedicine at my local community college coming up this spring!

Thank you!

I just recently got hired as an EMT-B in the state of Mass and already enrolled in a medic program for this upcoming July. I'm starting to second guess my decision because i am horrible at book work, DONT get me wrong i absolutely love this field im just not a good readerdry.gif. My future goals are to be on a 911 service and hopefully soon to be a firefighter. I know i need higher education but im thinking about becoming an EMT-I first then maybe going to medic school after i see how well i do with my intermediate. Anyone have any advice maybe past experience they have had with this same situation? I would really appreciate any insight on what you may have to say!

I am also having the same debate. I am a new EMT-B considering my next move in this field. I have looked a lot into EMT-I and EMT-P and here in California, they really aren't that much different. If I were you, I would go strait to medic school. Here, our fire departments will not hire you unless you are an EMT-P/firefighter. The schooling is only like a 3-6month difference for EMT-I and EMT-P (or at least it is in CA, I don't know about Mass), so you might as well just go for the EMT-P since it sounds like that is where your heart is. You already seem to know that it will be a lot of work, so at least you are prepared. You will go into the class knowing that it will be difficult and that you will have to study hard, but if this is where you really want to do for a living, then just go for it. You said you are already enrolled in a medic program, so go for it. You will be working as an EMT-B, so you can also talk to the medics and EMTs that you will be around to get some more information about the career choice. Talk you your local fire departments too. They are probably your best bet at getting the information and feedback that you are looking for! Good luck!

Proud to fail student?????????? You have got to ge kidding???????????

In regards to the restructuring which majority of people disagree..........take a hint!!!!

The instructors position is not to try to fail students, but to prepare them for the Paramedic testing and hopefully subsequent employment. You should be trying to help the student as much as you can, and direct them to be successful. Granted, if the student is not capable to meet the standards of what is taught, then dismiss them with grace and encourage them to try again after a period of reflection or EMT experience. Being 'proud' of failing someone is not what a good instructor does.

I partially agree. Clearly, students have to pass a test; however, I think the primary goal should be to educate a competent and professional entry level provider. I agree that nobody should take pride in failing students. I know where I teach, we are always nervous during examinations because we want students to succeed. Some of my greatest pleasures as an instructor have been to see struggling students succeed. It is a powerful experience when you are able to make somebody's light bulb turn on so to speak.

Take care,

chbare.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.