Not enough

jjd

Hi everyone,

This post is directed to those of you that are in South Africa. At present i am BAC/BAA reservist for Ekhurleni EMS based at the Edenvale or Bedfordview fire station depending on where i'm needed. 25 years old. Initially i was under the impression that working on a provincial ambulance would provide me with enough experience to grow, learn and progress up to the AEA level. Over the last 5 months i have accumulated roughly 600 hours (1000 hrs is required to advance).

My problem being is that call frequency at these stations is extremely limited and it's not uncommon for me to go an entire shift without receiving a single call. ER24 and Netcare are not interested in volunteers, unfortunately. I would like to spend a few shifts on an ALS response car or on an ILS ambulance that has a slightly higher call volume. I am currently full time employed as a systems architect but devote a substantial amount of my free time to EMS. I am aware that the HPCSA is in the process of stopping the AEA course and my intention is to complete this prior to that. If you have any suggestions as to how i can gain more actual road experience (instead of just sitting around) please feel free to respond.

(Translation for non South Africans: BAC/BAA = EMT-B, AEA = EMT-I, HPCSA = Health Care Providers Counsil of SA)

Joshua

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.