EMS Explorer Training

Fox800

I'm assisting with the formation of an EMS explorer post at my agency and I've been tasked with formulating the training/education requirements that we will require Explorers to complete before letting them do rideouts. I would appreciate it what you guys think Explorers should be trained/educated in before letting them ride out with crews. Here's what I have so far (as a draft, be gentle):

Departmental/Post Orientation

• Introduction to EMS as a field

o Description of an EMS system

o Description of certification levels (EMT, EMT-I, EMT-P, communications operator, first responders, medical director)

• Requirements of EMS training programs/schools

• Introduction to our department

o Vital statistics, mission, state of affairs

o Organizational structure

o Different positions within EMS

• Paramedic, Communications Medic, Supervisors, Special Operations, Administration

o Field EMS response

o Special events

o Community interaction

• Take 10 CPR

• Child Safety Seats

• Tour of ambulance, supervisor vehicles, etc.

• Tour of communications center

• STARFlight (our air medical/rescue helicopter)

• Expectations of Explorer Post Members

Safety/Legal

• HIPAA training

• Bloodborne pathogen training

• PPE isolation

o Gloves, eye protection, gowns, hand washing

• Scene safety training

o Traffic accident safety

• Vehicle rescue awareness

o Rescue operations awareness (water, trench, land)

o Tactical assist awareness

o Scenes of violence (psychiatric patients, domestic violence, gangs, crime scenes, large fights, shootings/stabbings, staging)

o Extreme temperatures

o Large crowds

• Downtown responses

• HAZMAT awareness

Operations

• Explorer roles and responsibilities

• Prohibited activities/safety concerns

• Radio operations/frequencies

• Maintenance and use of equipment

Clinical

• Certification: AHA CPR for BLS Healthcare Providers

• Certification: First Aid

• Spinal Immobilization Awareness

o Also, orientation to scoop stretcher and stair chair

• Blood pressure measurement, taking pulse, auscultating lung sounds

• General patient assessment (BLS level), overview/orientation of BLS medications

Keep in mind that in Texas, you cannot be certified as an EMS provider until age 18 so we'll be aiming for CPR/BLS for Healthcare Providers and a first aid course as the only "certifications" for now.

We always trained our kids to be First Responders. I cut my teeth in a Venturing crew that has EMS as its focus. We used to have a contact where we were allowed to ride along with the local EMS service, until it was deemed to be too much liability (we had a couple 17 year old whackers who got us in trouble, basically.) Now my crew does more event standby work and teaches Boy Scouts classes like Readyman and CPR.

My primary concern is that when you are 14, 15, 16 you really don't understand the hazards associated with working on an ambulance- it's just cool and interesting and exciting. Know that any crew taking on a rider will have one more thing to be concerned with on the call. Make sure you have proper legal paperwork (parental releases, etc) before you let anyone ride. I would hold the kids to the same standard of vaccination as your employer does- if they require MMR, Hepatitis, Tdap, TB test, etc. make sure the kids have proof of this as well. Make sure you know where the kids fall as far as being covered by workman's comp insurance, etc.

I might encourage making the minimum age to ride 16. Riding herd on a 14 year old is different from riding herd on a 16 or 17 year old, in my opinion and personal experience.

I think this kind of thing can be both valuable and risky. Make sure it's worth the risk to your agency before you take on the underage riders. Also make sure that your kids are mature enough to safely ride with you- we had a few I really didn't think should be allowed to ride in my crew due to immature behavior. The last thing you need to worry about is a kid doing something stupid in a volatile situation.

I think your outline for what to teach the kids is great; looks really similar to what my crew taught (sans the department specific stuff). I think you should dedicate about 4-5 months to teaching all of it and make the kids take written and practical tests before you let them on your ambulances... anybody who doesn't pass, doesn't ride.

Good luck to you! Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions. Also know that I came into Venturing as a youth and cut my teeth as a First Responder and loved riding, but that I have since changed my opinion on it as I have grown older and become more aware of the hazards, so if this post seems like it's negative with regard to letting the kids actually ride, there is rationale behind it...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.