Career Change?

EmergencyMedicalTigger

I have a decision to make and I need some advice. I especially would like to hear from those of you who left the truck and are happy OR unhappy with your decision. I like being on the truck. I like my station. I like my fire department first responders. I am getting sick on my shift supervisors. I have been with my service for a little over 3 years and I have been on my current Lt's sh*t list for over 2 years. I've never been formally written up. My Lt has told my partner to write me up a few times to which my partner responds, "Write her up for what?" I like alot of the medics I work with, but I'm getting tired of the attempts at intimidation and the BS threats of "you have a target on your back." I've had coworkers tell me that it's b/c my Lt is intimidated by me. Why?? I don't want his job.

I interviewed for a position with Memorial Hermann in Houston as a transfer coordinator. I will be at a desk for 12 hours, triaging transfers from lower level hospitals, and arranging patient transfers to the main Level I facility or to the surrounding lower level hospitals in the system. It's more money, more opportunity, and better benefits. I would still be able to pick up a few shifts at my part-time 911 job in the boonies just much lower call volume.

The interivew seemed to go well. If I'm offered the job, I still have no idea what to do. Every time I think, I couldn't leave this job (even with all the crap I put up with)-I love it, I get a patient on the truck that reminds me of the negatives that go with our jobs.

Suggestions please....Help!

Edited by EmergencyMedicalTigger

I have a decision to make and I need some advice. I especially would like to hear from those of you who left the truck and are happy OR unhappy with your decision. I like being on the truck. I like my station. I like my fire department first responders. I am getting sick on my shift supervisors. I have been with my service for a little over 3 years and I have been on my current Lt's sh*t list for over 2 years. I've never been formally written up. My Lt has told my partner to write me up a few times to which my partner responds, "Write her up for what?" I like alot of the medics I work with, but I'm getting tired of the attempts at intimidation and the BS threats of "you have a target on your back." I've had coworkers tell me that it's b/c my Lt is intimidated by me. Why?? I don't want his job.

I interviewed for a position with Memorial Hermann in Houston as a transfer coordinator. I will be at a desk for 12 hours, triaging transfers from lower level hospitals, and arranging patient transfers to the main Level I facility or to the surrounding lower level hospitals in the system. It's more money, more opportunity, and better benefits. I would still be able to pick up a few shifts at my part-time 911 job in the boonies just much lower call volume.

The interivew seemed to go well. If I'm offered the job, I still have no idea what to do. Every time I think, I couldn't leave this job (even with all the crap I put up with)-I love it, I get a patient on the truck that reminds me of the negatives that go with our jobs.

Hey kid, do what is best for you. I left the full time gig because of back problems, but found a great position as an instructor in EMS at local college. I also still work part time for the service on occasion and it keeps me in the loop. Totally loving it. Actually gained a better rapport with the other full timers, and the newbies look up to you as an old fart when you do work PT. Look at the big picture, do what's best for you. If you get the position at Hermann, dig in and make it a positive experience. Expand you horizons. Looks like you would be better off monetary wise, and then would have to be around your local BS Lt.

I feel you would probably do a good job in the new position, and I hope you succeed in getting the job. Think of it as your own 'well-being' of the EMTigger.