Seattle, WA...King County Medic One Paramedics

vcfd35s

I think I'm missing something in the setup.

MedicOne units (which are part of FD?) run mostly critical calls?

So, who runs the ALS calls on the "less critical" calls? Separate FD ALS ambulances?

You either get a KCM1 ambulance or you get a BLS aid car...either FD or AMR or another private. And those "less critical ALS " calls...go BLS or get the Medic One car. Depends on actually what type of call you are talking about.

How long is their medic program?

A year. Depending on the agency, you are either an employee or a contracted employee for the year, then you ar ean employee after that. So you are PAID to go to their program.

And if you ARE a medic, you said it's just an additional year of training to work there.

Is that additional year for a medic who went to school anywhere? Or do they have a list of "approved" programs that they deem strong enough where they only give you the additional year (instead of making you take their entire program)?

Nope, it is my understanding that regardless of where you came from, you go through the same program. EMT or Medic. It doesn't matter. I could be wrong, but I dont believe there are any "exceptions" to that rule. Now , to be clear, thats a YEAR of FULL TIME school. 3000 hours. thats DOUBLE what most programs do in TWO years.

I have heard that the King County Medic One EMS system is top notch, with a great scope and excellent training. I am currently an EMT working in CA, but would like to work in the Medic One system. Are you employed as a pirvate medic or are you a Fire/Medic with Seattle Fire? Also, what are some quality paramedic programs to go through up in the Seattle area? I am not a fan of the southern california EMS system and would like to start my medic career in WA. If anyone knows of a good medic program please let me know so I can further my research. Thank you in advance for the responses.

Tried to send you a PM, it would not go through for some reason. I have a contact for you if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

How is their BLS training and QI process?

From what I have been told by an oldtimer or two, a South Jersey MICU project was based on KCM1, down to the equipment and all.

As for its valididty.... :iiam:

However, much of the same happens here in Jersey. We go on ALS level calls only (in theory <_< ), and can get cancelled by BLS en route, or before pt contact.

Its once we make pt contact that all similarities seem to disappear. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Seattle Medics go on all ALS calls (determined by dispatchers...a lot of whom are former medics and all are firefighters). The first-in BLS units can code green the medics or request them if not on initial dispatch. They are not allowed to cancel the medics for certain calls, i.e. chest pain, 1st time seizures in adults, etc.

As for training, ALL Seattle Medics are hired from within (minimum 3 yrs exp). The 10 month program is approximately 3000 hrs. The number of patient contacts is expected to be 700 or more (field, clinic, ER, etc). As for KCM1, all are trained at UW/HMC regardless of prior certifications.

I work in Seattle and would love to answer any and all questions pertaining to Paramedic Training.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.