Pedi Headache

I haven't had a chance to do the research but the first thing I thought of with this case was inhalant abuse. It is really a big problem with the preteen and early adolescent age group. Most of the parents have no idea their kids are doing it unless something bad happens. The same as they have no idea when their kids are playing the choking game. There are often few obvious signs unless you have a really strong suspicion and actually know what to look for. A lot of the mood alterations/moodiness associated with the abuse is probably put down to the phase of preteens and teenagers which is why it is really hard to monitor and prevent it.

There is a very high risk of encephalitis and brain damage from "huffing". I don't have the profile of abusers in front of me but the fact that he is a loner and doesn't have many friends puts him at risk of depression and inhalant abuse. You don't need friends or company to do it and it seems to be a less social form of abuse although they do do it with friends as well.

The latest update for anyone wondering...He's still in ICU basically in a coma. No menigitis found after multiple tests. Comments in his notes made referencing encephalitis due to unk chemical intoxication. Initially I questioned the mom pretty hard about meds or drugs. My partner blew it off, I think b/c of the pt's age. It just goes to show you how much things have changed since not even 10 or 20 years ago. Kids are getting involved in bad things alot younger.

Wow. Coma? I'm liking my original thoughts- some type of poisoning or drug ingestion.

Like aussie said, I'm liking huffing here. It's legal to purchase, and nearly every home probably has a can of compressed air to clean their electronics. Easy access. Depending on the propellant and chemicals involved it could certainly explain what happened and why it seems the tox screens apparently did not show anything.

I hope they figure it out. Bad news.

I work for Critical Care Transport at Children's in Dallas. Unfortunately conditions like encephalitis and myocarditis and other illnesses that can result from recent or latent infections hit these kids like a ton of bricks. Particularly because in many cases the parents assume the child is either still suffering from the previously diagnosed infection or has had a recurrence of the previous infection, so they sometimes wait longer than they typically would for the same symptoms.

Don't Monday morning quarterback yourself on this call...the treatment even in the ICU will be primarily in response to symptoms, and in some rare cases anti virals can be used. Basically EMS is not going to do anything but supportive and symptomatic care for this kiddo...and maybe say a little prayer that it was caught early enough so that the child may have a chance at recovering.

I haven't had a chance to do the research but the first thing I thought of with this case was inhalant abuse. It is really a big problem with the preteen and early adolescent age group. Most of the parents have no idea their kids are doing it unless something bad happens. The same as they have no idea when their kids are playing the choking game. There are often few obvious signs unless you have a really strong suspicion and actually know what to look for. A lot of the mood alterations/moodiness associated with the abuse is probably put down to the phase of preteens and teenagers which is why it is really hard to monitor and prevent it.

There is a very high risk of encephalitis and brain damage from "huffing". I don't have the profile of abusers in front of me but the fact that he is a loner and doesn't have many friends puts him at risk of depression and inhalant abuse. You don't need friends or company to do it and it seems to be a less social form of abuse although they do do it with friends as well.

Good point. I actually mentioned huffing to my partner. It may not be as popular as it was a few years back, but kids find crazier things to do with common household items to get a high.