Barack Obama for the Nobel Peace Prize

Just Plain Ruff

It would be quite unusual for anyone to turn down a Nobel Prize. Perhaps this reflects the low regard the American Government has had by the rest of the world over the last eight years.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

By not turning it down he effectively endorses the decision, acknowledging that he deserves the Prize more so than anyone else (many of who are far more deserving by evidence of their past actions). He'll have to live with the stigma and negative political ramifications that goes along with that then, seeing that his actions haven't caused any real change, at least not at the close of the nomination period, 11 days into his term and all. Ideas and thoughts of peace are great. Really. I wonder then why the Ms America or Ms Universe winners of days past haven't monopolized the Nobel Peace Prize every year. You know, when they ask the contestant to state what they would wish for, with the generic response of world peace, or an end to world hunger or something.

Edited by 46Young

Really. I wonder then why the Ms America or Ms Universe winners of days past haven't monopolized the Nobel Peace Prize every year. You know, when they ask the contestant to state what they would wish for, with the generic response of world peace, or an end to world hunger or something.

LOL! Good analogy! :lol:

He could still rescue some dignity from this by using the event to defer to those truly deserving of the award, and bring greater recognition to their efforts.

Why does winning the Nobel Peace Prize suddenly lose its significance?

There's nothing sudden about it. It became a complete joke in 1985, and has been irrelevant ever since.

Of the seven black Nobel Peace Laureates in my lifetime, only three weren't tokens.

I can honestly say that I have done much more in my lifetime -- or even just the last few years -- deserving of a Nobel Peace Prize than Barack Obama. So have probably half the medics on this forum. So yes, the Nobel Prize is rendered completely irrelevant by this gesture.

Ronald Reagan was not even nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize for eight years of actual significant achievements. There are damn few winners since 1980 who can match his achievements.

Talk tough, achieve greatness = loser

Talk nonsense, achieve nothing = winner

• Like 1