Jump Out of Car; Recieve Walk Home.

EMT Martin

ETOH is a commonly used and recognized abbreviation, and I've been using it for 30 years in my reports. What's the problem with the term? I use it in a description- such as "apparent ETOH on breath", or Pt admits to ETOH ingestion, etc. I've never heard anyone who claims there is ambiguity or a problem there. Everyone uses the term around here- from docs to nurses, to medics.

As for the PT- belligerence could be because of a head injury, but the only trauma mentioned was an abrasion to an arm. Could the belligerence be because the guy had just been in an argument with his girlfriend and beaten? Could it be because the guy is ALWAYS a jerk? No, we don't know how fast the car was going, but unless the patient was scraped up, dirty, and other signs of trauma, I wouldn't be too concerned about this refusal. Unless the person showed signs of being incompetent, I see no reason to force this issue.

True...it is a common term and I have used it also. Just looking beyond the legal eagles whom try to screw you. Just to help cover, use the term as you stated "apparant ETOH on breath....", but embellish it with other descriptors as 'exhibits slurred speech, blood shot eyes, odor of ETOH on breath and person, etc.'

The only thing I meant with AMS would be if the individual was truely intoxicated which in some regions could be viewed as an alteration in their mental state.

Again, I do not disagree with you. It just depends on how you see and use it.

As far as the 'altered mental status'; by jumping out of the car while it was in motion, the patient could have thumped his coconut on the pavement and injuries from contusion to concussion to coup contra coup injuries may or may not be present.

I'm not sure if vehicle speed would play a big factor here (ie: would the speed of the vehicle negate a concussion and only inflict coup contra coup injuries?).

In this case; I would write up a RMA and have it signed by the officer on scene, as a witness to the fact that the patient refused treatment and walked off before you could get him to sign the document.

As far as the 'altered mental status'; by jumping out of the car while it was in motion, the patient could have thumped his coconut on the pavement and injuries from contusion to concussion to coup contra coup injuries may or may not be present.

I'm not sure if vehicle speed would play a big factor here (ie: would the speed of the vehicle negate a concussion and only inflict coup contra coup injuries?).

In this case; I would write up a RMA and have it signed by the officer on scene, as a witness to the fact that the patient refused treatment and walked off before you could get him to sign the document.

He signed. He just didn't accept the canary copy that was supposed to be his. He -almost- walked off without signing. We do have officers document it when we can't get the patient to sign, per protocol.