New EMT in Chicago

How you guys doing? I am a 21 yr old college student who is about done with my EMT-B course. I plan on going to grad school to be a PA after completing my undergrad.

I go to school in Chicago, and I want to work with a private ambulance Co or as a ER tech (although I heard the latter is hard to get) during my last yr as a undergrad.

From what I've heard, Superior pays slightly more than the others, but is more strict and you have to wear a clip on tie (barf). I know MED-EX, Advance, and ATI are some of the others.

My question is which private is the best to work for; in terms of wage, flexibility, and experience? Bear in mind I plan on working part-time (2-3 days a week).

And should I expect shifts always at least 12 hrs?

Any experience with a private in chi-town or funny stories are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you want experience, work at a hospital; many hire part time techs. As for the private services, they will hire you, and they will all give you no worthwhile experience. Pick whichever one is closest to you, or has the biggest call bonuses, or doesn't require you to wear a tie, or wha.ever else is important to you. I've worked at more than one, as a basic and paramedic, and they are all just about the same. If you have specific questions, PM me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.