HOSP-ITALITY ABUSE

Yep Vent, I read every single post in this thread, most especially yours. I hate blanket statements, which is why I decided to enter the fray.

You kept on referring to "fat overweight donut eating chain smoking EMT(P)s, which infers to me that you have a chip on your shoulder towards Paramedics. We are not all like that no more so than all cops are donut eating ticket writing gun happy profiling bastards.

One thought for you ....Xanax PO, PRN

Duke

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep Vent, I read every single post in this thread, most especially yours. I hate blanket statements, which is why I decided to enter the fray.

You kept on referring to "fat overweight donut eating chain smoking EMT(P)s, which infers to me that you have a chip on your shoulder towards Paramedics. We are not all like that no more so than all cops are donut eating ticket writing gun happy profiling bastards.

One thought for you ....Xanax PO, PRN

Duke

Blanket statements? Did you even notice the word "some" in almost all of my posts? Did you also notice that I specifically directed my remarks to herbie and CB?

Did you even understand the remark I made about fat overweight Paramedics sucking up workmen's comp? Let me repost it:

As far as the disgusting part, I feel the same way about obese, chain smoking EMT(P)s who suck up sick days, increase out of pocket insurance rates for everyone and then expect the government to support their fat, short of breath arses when they go out on disability from a line of duty injury they received while reaching for that last powdered sugar donut.

Did that remark hit a nerve and are you one of those fat, chain smoking EMTs who are on workmen's comp? If not then how does that pertain to you or anyone who doesn't fit that description and is on Workmen's Comp? That also should be an issue others should be concerned about since it directly affects insurance rates and overhead for your company.

If I am working in the Cardiopulmonary Stress lab I must test these EMT(P)s. So I do have first hand knowledge of their excuses. I have also worked in EMS for 30 years and have seen many types come and go in the profession. If you have even worked in EMS don't tell me you haven't seen these fine examples of an unhealthy lifestyle and then use their jobs as an excuse. Do you know how many workmen's comp claims are made and many of them could probably have been avoidable it the EMS provider had taken an interest in their own health? How about deaths on the job usually related to cardiopulmonary problems? Is this honestly any different than what a couple of you have been saying about the homeless who don't want to take care of themselves?

Why is it also that when someone points out something that EMS could improve you must also use the "they do it too excuse"? This forum is about EMS. If you read some of the forums for law enforcement you will notice they are more aware of their fitness situation as are the FFs and have been trying to improve within their systems. But, no some in EMS must continue to make excuses for their profession which criticizing patients and other professions.

Xanax? So are drugs your answer to ignor situations or to enforce the "don't care" attitude. No thanks you can keep your drugs. I prefer to be clear headed when I am providing patient care. If drugs are the answer to your own problems then I suggest you examine your own life and stop criticizing others. I seriously hope you don't give that advice out freely to your co-workers. Drugs are NOT the answer especially if you have the responsibility of patient care. It is too easy for an abusive habit to form and you may find your ownself on the streets.

I digress im done with this thread and there is no point in arguing we will just have to agree to disagree vent.

Think its time for this thread to be locked.

You have done a total of 8 posts on this forum with most consisting of one sentence about Taco Bell or Wal-mart. When I thought you had some promise of making decent discussion, you want to run away. Try EMTlife.com if this discussion about differences in views on patient care offends you. I will not change my attitude about providing patient care to all regardless of where they live, their ability to pay or their lifestyle issues.

You have done a total of 8 posts on this forum with most consisting of one sentence about Taco Bell or Wal-mart. When I thought you had some promise of making decent discussion, you want to run away. Try EMTlife.com if this discussion about differences in views on patient care offends you. I will not change my attitude about providing patient care to all regardless of where they live, their ability to pay or their lifestyle issues.

Patient care? Since when is doing social service needs assessments and follow ups considered "patient care"?

BTW-

I'm still waiting for you to show me your SOP/SMO for homelessness.

Patient care? Since when is doing social service needs assessments and follow ups considered "patient care"?

BTW-

I'm still waiting for you to show me your SOP/SMO for homelessness.

Again and again and again.... Do you not understand the concept of team or how a healthcare system works? How many times do I have to explain it to you? Have you not even been part of a trauma system and know what goes into it.

I take it you are asking for a recipe. Sorry, but we go by guidelines and use the form most appropriate for the situation and the patient. If it is elder or child abuse, we have our pathway for that with the necessary reporting forms. I would hope your state and agency have at the very least told you about what the mandates are. We take special care to document homelessness when it involves children and the elderly. Each area will usually have special programs for people that fall into this category especially if they are homeless for one of the reasons outlines within state laws. For repeat offenders, we track with the hospital systems by documenting "homeless" or "Social Service request" and filling out a separate brief information form. Honestly it is not that big of a deal to go out of your way to help someone or to start a paper trail to get someone who pisses you off by repeat calls locked up. You don't need to get any special book learnin' to do it or one of them college degrees.

Don't play dumb (unless your really are and then you have my apologies) when this is a relatively simple concept but it seems there are those in EMS like yourself that choose not to get involved. Do you really have to be spoon fed everything or are you really just uninformed by choice?

Edited by VentMedic

Again and again and again.... Do you not understand the concept of team or how a healthcare system works? How many times do I have to explain it to you? Have you not even been part of a trauma system and know what goes into it.

I take it you are asking for a recipe. Sorry, but we go by guidelines and use the form most appropriate for the situation and the patient. If it is elder or child abuse, we have our pathway for that with the necessary reporting forms. I would hope your state and agency have at the very least told you about what the mandates are. We take special care to document homelessness when it involves children and the elderly. Each area will usually have special programs for people that fall into this category especially if they are homeless for one of the reasons outlines within state laws. For repeat offenders, we track with the hospital systems by documenting "homeless" or "Social Service request" and filling out a separate brief information form. Honestly it is not that big of a deal to go out of your way to help someone or to start a paper trail to get someone who pisses you off by repeat calls locked up. You don't need to get any special book learnin' to do it or one of them college degrees.

Don't play dumb (unless your really are and then you have my apologies) when this is a relatively simple concept but it seems there are those in EMS like yourself that choose not to get involved. Do you really have to be spoon fed everything or are you really just uninformed by choice?

Vent perhaps you are in the wrong field, maybe you should go be a become a social worker.

Blanket statements? Did you even notice the word "some" in almost all of my posts? Did you also notice that I specifically directed my remarks to herbie and CB?

Did you even understand the remark I made about fat overweight Paramedics sucking up workmen's comp? Let me repost it:

As far as the disgusting part, I feel the same way about obese, chain smoking EMT(P)s who suck up sick days, increase out of pocket insurance rates for everyone and then expect the government to support their fat, short of breath arses when they go out on disability from a line of duty injury they received while reaching for that last powdered sugar donut.

Did that remark hit a nerve and are you one of those fat, chain smoking EMTs who are on workmen's comp? If not then how does that pertain to you or anyone who doesn't fit that description and is on Workmen's Comp? That also should be an issue others should be concerned about since it directly affects insurance rates and overhead for your company.

If I am working in the Cardiopulmonary Stress lab I must test these EMT(P)s. So I do have first hand knowledge of their excuses. I have also worked in EMS for 30 years and have seen many types come and go in the profession. If you have even worked in EMS don't tell me you haven't seen these fine examples of an unhealthy lifestyle and then use their jobs as an excuse. Do you know how many workmen's comp claims are made and many of them could probably have been avoidable it the EMS provider had taken an interest in their own health? How about deaths on the job usually related to cardiopulmonary problems? Is this honestly any different than what a couple of you have been saying about the homeless who don't want to take care of themselves?

Why is it also that when someone points out something that EMS could improve you must also use the "they do it too excuse"? This forum is about EMS. If you read some of the forums for law enforcement you will notice they are more aware of their fitness situation as are the FFs and have been trying to improve within their systems. But, no some in EMS must continue to make excuses for their profession which criticizing patients and other professions.

Xanax? So are drugs your answer to ignor situations or to enforce the "don't care" attitude. No thanks you can keep your drugs. I prefer to be clear headed when I am providing patient care. If drugs are the answer to your own problems then I suggest you examine your own life and stop criticizing others. I seriously hope you don't give that advice out freely to your co-workers. Drugs are NOT the answer especially if you have the responsibility of patient care. It is too easy for an abusive habit to form and you may find your ownself on the streets.

First off, yes I am in EMS, I work in a Rural setting, for two different services, both ALS Paid Non Fire services. No, other than Synthyroid and Glucophage, I don't take any drugs, on duty or off, nor do I chain smoke, though I have been known to take an occasional drink.

While I'm not Charles Atlas by any means, I am not a short of breath cardiac incident waiting to happen. I've never been on workmans comp except to have some dental work done after a violent patient caught me off guard. As for powdered donuts, wish I could, but like to keep my ACL down, I intend to keep my feet, eyes and related systems until the end. Family history will catch me one day and the triple A will get me, either that or a young eager EMT driver.

I merely take humbrage to those who rant and rave and use, and yes you did, use blanket statements about EMS and our "Lack of Concern". Your response seems to indicate that I struck a nerve. Just like with Crotch cricket who assumes that because I'm white, I'm a racist. Wrong again, my son disproves that theory.

Anyway, nothing I say will matter at this point anyway, as you have branded me, judged me, and therefore I am wasting my breath.

Duke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.