Spinal Immobilization

HERBIE1

Could it be a psychological cause? Perhaps the fear, etc triggered him to shut down.

True but is is also necessary to ensure nothing is missed that would also require surgical intervention.

The other issue with MOI is some assume people are driving in picture perfect position and eyes forward. If you ever hang out at a busy intersection you will notice that is not always true.

People are reaching for the radio, GPS setting, food, things dropped like their cell phone. They are turned to get a better look at the address they passed or the good looking pedistrian or car. They are looking down to text message someone. They may even be reaching into the back seat to get something or to slap the kids. The seat belt still allows for some mobility and has its limitations for different points of impact.

We have had SCIs from very slow moving vehicles in a parking lot because the person should have gotten themselves settled and belongings in place before pulling out of the parking spot. The body is torqued and twisted to where just a few pounds of force can do serious damage just as some have learned from lifting even light objects.

Edited by VentMedic

Hello,

Interesting call.

Incompleted spinal injury? I am not 100% but it could be Anterior Cord Syndrome. Too much cervical flexation during the crash (pain at base of skull) caused the loss of motor control below the waist.

Or, Causa Equine from an abcess? Maybe his immune system was compromised due to his HIV?

Just a few guesses made during coffee break....

Cheers

Here's some links to case studies on Goolgle.Scholar.

http://scholar.google.com

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&am...rognosis+adults

Alot will depend on whether the injury is partial, complete or central.

Here are SCI classifications:

http://www3.umdnj.edu/stlibweb/dpts5312/maynard.pdf

I believe there is an updated version but the info is basically the same.

Intuitively

Thanks. I will read these in detail.

Based on his loss of function, the problem was probably in the lower thoracic/upper lumbar area.

I'm also thinking his HIV may have something to do with this, but I'm at a loss to explain how.

Based on anecdotal evidence, what outcomes have you seen with cases such as these?

Based on his loss of function, the problem was probably in the lower thoracic/upper lumbar area.

I'm also thinking his HIV may have something to do with this, but I'm at a loss to explain how.

Based on anecdotal evidence, what outcomes have you seen with cases such as these?

The outcomes of SCIs, noted by X-rays or not, will vary and it depends on the classification of injury. We have over 100 SCI patients in our hospital at any given time with the neuro ICU, Spinal Cord center and Rehab. No two are rarely the same.

The HIV status would probably not be a factor unless he has already developed lesions somewhere within the central nervous system, including the cord, which could also be complicated by CMV.

Edited by VentMedic

Hello,

Interesting call.

Incompleted spinal injury? I am not 100% but it could be Anterior Cord Syndrome. Too much cervical flexation during the crash (pain at base of skull) caused the loss of motor control below the waist.

Or, Causa Equine from an abcess? Maybe his immune system was compromised due to his HIV?

Just a few guesses made during coffee break....

Cheers

Interesting theories.

I'm assuming the problem was due to a hyperflexion type injury. Twisting, torquing- gawd only knows what position he was in at impact? He was struck from behind, spun out, and then hit the guardrail.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.