Was Thomas Jefferson a prophet?

Lone Star

I recently came across some very interesting quotes from Thomas Jefferson, and felt compelled to share them:

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.

Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.

Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Very Interesting Quote

In light of the present financial crisis, it’s interesting to read what Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: 'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.'

You're right. That is very interesting. The only part I disagree with is that all free men have the right to bear arms. All non-dangerous free men should have that right. But I'm all for violent felons not being allowed to carry weapons. It would be nice if we had the means to just keep them off the streets but that isn't always possible. Somehow they still have rights even though they've stripped the public of the right to feel safe as they go about their lives. Even though I'm not a big fan of guns and do not/will not own one myself, I feel alot better knowing that there is at least a chance that someone properly trained in their use may be on scene when I'm in a parking lot about to get robbed or worse. Just a thought.

Very Interesting Quote

In light of the present financial crisis, it’s interesting to read what Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: 'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.'

<sigh>

Check your sources. Again.

The above quote was never uttered by Jefferson.

With regards to the rest of the quotes listed, some are legitimately attributed to Jefferson. Others are inconclusive. While this site isn't as reputable as Snopes, it certainly casts enough doubt on a good number of the quotes listed...especially the ones taken out of context or deliberately misquoted.

While I'm sure this was probably just a email forwarded on like a bad piece of spam, checking the sources is usually prudent before sharing and attempting to pass it (the original email) off as accurate information.

But I think we've had this discussion before.

-be safe

Edited by paramedicmike

Thomas Jefferson was fabulous, and I by no means wish to steal any of his thunder, but he wasn't as eloquent with words as people think. A big example would be the Declaration of Independence. That little gem is said to be penned by Jefferson, and is in fact, by most historical accounts his document. What a lot of history leaves out is how much help he had from John Adams in repairing the document. Jefferson's draft was grossly flawed both in his use of vocabulary and in his descriptions. Adams came in behind him, fixed the document, and Jefferson attached his name to it for the eternity of history.

But, why?

For one, John Adams had a volatile personality. People didn't like him. He was direct and to the point with very little finesse. He was known to jump on tables and throw chairs. Adams was lucky though, he knew how badly people received him, and because of that he was able to request help from people that were much more liked. Adams got a lot of his agenda accomplished under the appearance of Jefferson, Washington, and Franklin.

Secondly, Thomas Jefferson was southern. The south had no desire to get involved in the revolution. They were agrarian based, not import based, and therefore didn't have the taxation problems the north faced. They also fancied themselves the new English Gentry, and did not want to spar with England. They often sent their children to England for their education, and would visit the country to "show off" so to speak. If the cause enlisted the service of southern men, they had a better chance of bringing in the southern support during the Revolution.

George Washington was also southern. He was a smart, imposing man, standing roughly 6'4". He showed up to the Second Continental Congress in full military dress uniform, and stood silent throughout the proceedings. When he was elected to be Commander of the Continental Army, he left immediately to begin his assignment. He won that assignment on the above alone, because he had never actually won any battles before his appointment.

I used to love being a paramedic, but I really can't wait to finish my degree and start teaching history. I love it when people talk about history. Thanks, Lone!

My favorite president is John Adams. I think his viewpoints on many things were spot on even today.

I also knew that he helped Jefferson write the Declaration.

I have also read most of the letters from Jefferson to Adams and vice versa that they began to write in the waning years of their lives and they show a lot of wonderful bickering and give and take between the two.

Surprisingly they both died on the same day just hours apart.

If you ask me Jefferson did the framework of the declaration but Adams made it "his document"

For the best book ever written on Adams, check out the book by David McCollugh(spelling). It is very very well written.

And the HBO miniseries Adams which was taken from McCulloughs book.

Edited by Ruffems

There was also a PBS show done in 1974 called The Adams Chronicles. It's still available on DVD and it's also fantastic. It's also somewhere around 10 hours long, but being such a fan of John Adams, it didn't feel like 10 hours. In fact, I prefer it to the HBO series, however David McCollough's book John Adams is truly a phenomenal read.

The did die on the same day, July 4, 1826. Jefferson died just hours before Adams, however it was Adams that stated "Jefferson lives" not knowing that he had died just before him. John Adams lived to be 90 years old and was the last of the founding fathers to pass away.

There was a local radio show here that had a guy who was a frequent guest and he played the part of Jefferson. Heard it a few times- the guy is very knowledgeable about Jefferson and even takes calls from listeners about Jefferson's opinions on current events, staying in character. The bit started out on radio but the guy actually does public appearances as well.

Fascinating stuff.

There was a local radio show here that had a guy who was a frequent guest and he played the part of Jefferson. Heard it a few times- the guy is very knowledgeable about Jefferson and even takes calls from listeners about Jefferson's opinions on current events, staying in character. The bit started out on radio but the guy actually does public appearances as well.

Fascinating stuff.

There is also a guy at Mt. Vernon who does the Washington thing too.

I also have seen a guy who did Franklin also.

Of the two above I sort of lean towards liking the guy who does franklin over Washington or jefferson but my son loved talking to Washington at Mt. Vernon - he thought it really was General Washington.

McCullough is an excellent writer. He did an superb job with John Adams. If you haven't read Truman yet I highly recommend that, too. In fact, pretty much everything he's written has been good. I especially liked The Johnstown Flood. I both read that and listened to it as a book on mp3.

-be safe