COD

Well, I think that in a forum such as this, the level of education is generally higher than other forums. In this case, a "technical" description seems perfectly appropriate to me- context.

Depends, how "technical" do we want to take this? Do we talk about calcium ions, the sarcoplasmic reticulum, and the actin/myosin cross-bridges? Unfortunately, the level of education in this forum is all over the place. Therefore, a balance can be tricky to accomplish.

Take care,

chbare.

Depends, how "technical" do we want to take this? Do we talk about calcium ions, the sarcoplasmic reticulum, and the actin/myosin cross-bridges? Unfortunately, the level of education in this forum is all over the place. Therefore, a balance can be tricky to accomplish.

Take care,

chbare.

Lol. I've been getting quized a lot lately by my preceptor on cellular physiology, and it's apparent that I could use some refreshing. If you talk, I'll listen. Never mind the haters.

Take care,

chbare.

I agree, but in this venue, I'm thinking people are more apt to want to learn/refresh their knowledge.

Ahhh- memories.

I honestly never thought I would hear anyone talking about that stuff anymore.

I need to break out my old physiology books. Been too long.

Nice, that all makes sense. Now I think I should have figured that out.

A few days ago we had another DOA who had just begun to rigor, and her eyes were closed but her jaw was locked and her neck was stiffening...confirming what Herbie said.

Thanks for the info folks!

My pleasure.

I was doing this job for years before I learned about the jaw thing. A coworker who went back to school to be a funeral director told me about how rigor starts and progresses. Many times a body may remain under a blanket so the limbs may be still warm and supple, but the head/jaw is exposed. Checking the jaw on a suspected DOA accomplishes 2 things immediately and takes no extra time-it confirms the rigor, and whether or not an airway/ventilations are even possible. Obviously you confirm in the usual manner,pulses, EKG, lividity, pupils, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.