ems/ff and relationships

how hard is it to have romantic relationship when you work in ems/fire ?  

44 members have voted

1. 1.

• impossible
    • no big deal
    • gotta work at it
    • don't want relaationship

I would have voted for impossible, but it isn't as you've demonstrated. But I have found it takes A LOT of work and many of the women I've met so far never wanted to expend the energy or time to work at it.

I think that it depends on the two of you and what you deem necessary to have a relationship that works for both of you. My girlfriend is an EMT as well, we understand the others schedule and demands/restraints that are placed on the individual and our relationship. I can't say that we've really had to work in order to make it work. We both knew what we were getting into. I think that it helps us focus on making the time that we do get to spend together higher quality.

I really think that it depends on the individuals involved as to whether or not they want to make things work regardless of the circumstances.

Just my perspective on things though..it works for us.

When husband was made the chief of our volunteer department in 1993, I figured if I ever wanted to see him I'd better do somethng. I took fire training and then went on to EMT-B and now EMT -I. We enjoy working together and being able to share the joys and the sorrows. It helps to be able to come home and talk about a bad call with someone who understands the situation. It is just as great to be able to come home and share the excitement from a save. We have learned what each others strenth's and weaknesses are by working so closely together. For us,it has been easy.

Was in EMS when DH and I started dating. He was in media (radio) and had his own wacky schedule (and we lived 8 hours apart - but that's an entirely different story). There has never been a problem about family time. My kids don't know what it's like for mom and dad to work a normal 9-5 schedule (but then, neither do we). DH was an EMT while we lived in MS. He enjoyed it but went back to his passion (media) when we moved back to KS. He helped me through EMT-P school and nursing school and has even tossed around the idea of going to P school or nursing school himself.

Since I began in EMS things have been extremely difficult between me and my husband (an airplane mechanic). Going into it we didn't think much of it. After all we have survived some really difficult times in our relationship. But my new EMS career seems to be the biggest test our marriage has ever faced. I'm not ready to say it's impossible or give up, but it's definitely going to be a long hard road to walk. It's most certainly an added stress in day-to-day life. We just have to take each day as it comes and work for the best possible outcome.

My hubby is a cop and works some strange shifts. I'm on my EMT practicum right now and sometimes we don't see each other for days. We also have two small boys and it's rough for them as well, although they don't show the strain like we do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.